Project: 'Monster' Gaming Rig by CustomPCMAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy ****, the title was right, that is a monster. i have a kinda-related question though, is it possible for the sli connection to snap? it looks like its under somer tension.

teh inside is very clean, but i still like the front best.

Thanks Muffin Man!

The SLI connectors are actually really flexible. This one is a little bunched up, not stretch tight.

Ok, after a few hours of installing software and testing, here are some of the results I have acheived.

On stock speeds:
CPU - 3.33 Ghz
3DMark Vantage - Performance Score
Stock3DMarkScore21359.png

Not a bad score at all.

I was able to tweak the CPU up to 4.0 Ghz, very easily. I upped the multiplier to 30x, left the FSB at 133. After a few tests and short term stress tests, everything appears stable. More testing to do to ensure it, but initial results are good. At this speed, the idle temps are around 35C and under a full stress load (Prime95) the highest it has gone is 67C. These temps are definitely in normal operating ranges, even for stock speeds.

CPU-Z.png

With the OC applied, the 3DMark Vantage score does increase a little.
CPU40003DMarkScore22425.png

So far so good. The next step is going to be maximizing the ram speeds and testing that. Once everything is set in place, I will be running some long term (8+ hours) of stress testing to ensure we are 100% stable.

Ok, I have to admit a little blunder. The scores I posted before weren't accurate. Somehow in the nVidia control panel, Vsync was defaulted to Force On, so it negatively affected the GPU portion of the 3DMark Vantage score.

So, here is the real score with the CPU at 4.0 Ghz
CPU40003DMarkScore27204.png

Much better and up where I thought it would be (high 20k's).

I am going to be working a little more to see if I can get a little more out of the CPU, but we are stable here at 4.0 Ghz. Anything extra is an added bonus.

I gotta say I downclocked my i7 920 to 4Ghz and I get almost exactly the same cpu score as you got (53000ish).

I'm not sure how high the 975's go, but I've tested my 920 stable at 4.410Ghz (~6 hour LinX run)
I'd hope to see at least that out of a 975 extreme, though as I said I have no idea how well they overclock.

you really need higher end cooling to get the most out of an extreme, which the builder and owner seem to know but aren't prepared to do yet. The 920 seems to reach about 4.5 on water for most people, which is about what I run mine at.. might be able to go higher if i replaced a few parts, but its not worth it to me... only on h20 or ln2 does the difference in the 975 shine..

The point seems to be repeated many times by many people, but you have to understand this is a request of a customer. They are requesting air cooling on a i7 975. They are also aware that to hit the upper ranges of the chips watercooling is needed. They have expressed that they may do it in the future, but for now they WANT the chip at 4.0 Ghz on air.

They don't want the absolute bleeding edge OC, they want one that is strong and requires little to no effort to maintain on their part.

A higher OC is most likely going to be very easy to achieve, the question is whether or not I have time to get a stable OC above 4.0 before I have to ship the system out. Unfortunately, I don't get to keep this system and the person who bought it is very anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

You can't really blame them for being anxious :) man I know I wouldn't be sleeping at night if I knew I was gonna be getting this.

^ +1 to that! I don't blame them for not W/C the rig either. What people do with their own money is their business...no sense criticizing them about it.

Yeah but I don't know why they wanted a 975 if they weren't gonna go with the water though. Bad decision on their part if you ask me.

Yeah but I don't know why they wanted a 975 if they weren't gonna go with the water though. Bad decision on their part if you ask me.

This PC may have WC in it's future. The new owner wanted the absolute best CPU they could get as they have their own plans for it. For now, they just wanted air cooling with a midrange OC applied.

YouTube - Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Gaming PC, custom Silverstone tj10, www.custompcmax.com

:cool:Here is a short video that Bill produced to show of this PC. Check it out and let us know what you think!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom