i7 vs. Phenoom II X4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
Between an i7 920 and an Phenom II X4 955 what would be better for gaming and video editing. I know right off the bat most of you will say i7, however for roughly the same price, the X4 runs at 3.2 GHz... I have no expierience with OC so, although i know that i could OC the crap out of the 920 but im not comfortable OC for the first time with a $280 piece of hardware. Should i opt out for the AMD and get the immediate power and satisfaction, or go for the long haul and buy the i7, only to OC in the future when its needed and when i have to skills to do so? Any advice it welcome, thanks.

Obvously i was missunderstood. I understand that the clock speed doesnt mean its all that much faster but the point i was trying to get across was; will a OC 920 @ 3.2 out perform a stock X4 955 at 3.2? Im looking for longevity here, which processor should i buy based on the fact that i dont want to have to upgrade in a year? Obviously there will be bigger nad better chips out there in a year (maybe even quantum computing;)) but i want a processor that will out last the other, before an upgrade is nessecary.

Like I said the 3.2ghz doesn't make the AMD faster. At stock speeds the i7 is faster in video editing type programs. Games will run about the same. Though sometimes your find a program that doesn't perform like others (for instance Farcry 2 but that might of been a mistake or bad driver or something).

Check the link I posted.

Like I said the 3.2ghz doesn't make the AMD faster. At stock speeds the i7 is faster in video editing type programs. Games will run about the same. Though sometimes your find a program that doesn't perform like others (for instance Farcry 2 but that might of been a mistake or bad driver or something).

Check the link I posted.

Again i dont remember saying specifically that clock speed makes one faster than the other??? But anyways i think im going to go with the i7 just because it seems to perform better where it counts, although the X4 preformed better overall in the comparison you provided me. Thanks for your help.

Good choice and you're welcome. But why do you say the x4 performs better overall? The i7 is the one that performs better overall in the comparison with 24 of the 28 tests being in favor of the i7.

Good choice and you're welcome. But why do you say the x4 performs better overall? The i7 is the one that performs better overall in the comparison with 24 of the 28 tests being in favor of the i7.

Haha my mistake, i just re-read the categories and didnt notice half of them were measured in seconds. Silly me :p

Another question i have is how long would a i7-975 Extreme last until i would need to upgrade. i have the cash for it, but its almost an unjustified purchase. Should i just shut up and stick with the 920 and save my cash for other components of higher quality? a.k.a. GPU?

I don't think the 975 extreme would last much longer than a 920. Especially since you said you would possibly overclock the 920 later on. I'm no expert on the 975 but from what I've seen its only a little faster clock for clock and I don't think it would clock much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom