Grampa "Q" has another build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Beta member
Grampa Quincy here,,, First I would like to thank all who viewed and offered advice to my first post you all were very helpful.

Continuing with the gaming rig build I have been wondering if those of you who are experienced high end builders had to order your motherboard and gaming card for a build you were working on today and if your budget was say $300.00 for the gaming card or cards only. Would you buy a SLI or Crossfire capable motherboard and divide the three hundred into two $150.00 cards or would you buy the board and one $300.00 card and not even consider twin gaming cards?

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge

Q

I would buy one $300 dollar card now and then possibly buy another one in the future if a good deal comes around.

Yep, that's definitely the way to go. Get the gtx 285 now, and then wait for it to get really cheap (like $100), and add another one.

I asked the question because I have read some articles where the author did not think the second card boosted the graphics any more than about 20% I did not think you guys would think outside the box like you did. So, does that mean that if you had the money up front would you go for two high end cards from the get or is the performance boost not worth the cost of the seconc card until the price goes down?

Thanks again for the input.

Q

well, it's all relative. because different cards scale differently. but i would wait for the next gen cards to come out before i made any kind of decisions on cards.

quincy said:
I asked the question because I have read some articles where the author did not think the second card boosted the graphics any more than about 20%

It all depends on the game, some games scale better with 2 cards than other games. An as philbar71 stated, some cards scale better than others in various games.

quincy said:
So, does that mean that if you had the money up front would you go for two high end cards from the get or is the performance boost not worth the cost of the second card until the price goes down?

I've been buying 2 high-end card at the same time for years now, but it really all depends on your budget and your Gaming habits :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom