Cooling advice for a Micro Atx case

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBob

Baseband Member
I have a micro ATX Case that is running a P 4 3.0 ghz, with stock cooler and fan. With BFG fx 5500 OC'd video card. And 512 mb of Ram. The only fans I have are on the Video Card, CPU, and power supply (which is a cheap 400 watt), and one extra fan.

My cpu idels around 39C, and runs in the low to mid forties during normal usage. When I play Battlefield 1942, for over an hour, the system restarts and I belive it is caused by overheating.

Any ways I have a couple of questions.

1. The case only has one spot on the back for a 80 mm fan, should I use the fan to blow air into the system or out? The fan I have for it is a
Antec led fan that was like 10$.

2. What would be a good Cooler and Fan for my CPU. I don't really want to spend more than 25$ on one?

3. What are optimal tempetures for my system with it's setup?

Thanks

1. If you have a fan setup as an intake already, make the fan on the back the exhaust fan.

2. Something from thermaltake should do the trick, they have wonderful hsf.

3. Got me.. you're not exactly bad at those temps and it doesn't sound like a temp probably, but who knows.

"1. If you have a fan setup as an intake already, make the fan on the back the exhaust fan."

I worded my original post poorly, and I apologize for it. There is only the one spot on the back of the case to put a fan. And right now I have a fan on it and it is set up as an intake.

"Something from thermaltake should do the trick, they have wonderful hsf"

I''ll check out that brand, is there any particular model that I should look at?

"Got me.. you're not exactly bad at those temps and it doesn't sound like a temp probably, but who knows."

I think it is setup in my bios for my PC to shut down at 50C , I'm going to check it tommorrow and if so I'm going to bump it up to 55, and see if that will work.

Thermaltake or thermalright are both good. I suggest the Thermalright SLK-900A that is for Socket A boards though and for AMD, but they make heatsinks for Intel too, I just don't know the name, but I believe it's an SLK series so it'll be SLK-948U or something like that. That comes without a fan though. The only way I get 39C idle is when its cold at night and the window in the computer room is left open. Right now it's 78F and, 44C idle temp and 34C System temp. Later tonight it'll be 38-40C idle depending on how cool out it is lol

So I guess mine isn't running that hot. What are optimal tempetures for a P4 3.0 CPU?

well, I have a new BFG fx55000 OC'd 256mb card, that is less than a month old. I'm using the drivers that came with it, should I go DL other drivers from nvidia's web site?

Cool, then I will do that.

By the way I just finished watching 24 season 2 last night watched in 2 days. I was shocked that is was better than the excellent season 1.

Very nice. 24 kicks ass. It was a great season, Nina is dead right? I cant remember. Season 3 starts in january. I cant wait. Its too bad Tony Almata is dead, he was a great guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom