CPU Shuts off after 8 seconds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt.win

Beta member
One day out of the blue my computer stopped working. I turn it on, and all the fans turn on (including power supply) but instead of starting to boot up, it shuts off after 8-10 seconds, then turns back on and keeps doing this until I shut off the power supply. Also, the monitor screen never changes...it just stays on standby. I have done some research on this, and the most common answers are the power supply, or the motherboard.
My guess would be the power supply, but I wanted some more opinions before I invest in a new one.

Here are my specs.

Motherboard: Gigabyte gigabyte ga-ep45c-ud3r

Power supply: Raidmax ATX12v 420w (model # RX-420k)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

RAM: Corsair DDr2 2048 MB (x2)

Hard drive: Western Digital WD 1600 JB (160 gigs)

Graphics card: Nvidea GEForce 8800gt

Thank you, any help is much appreciated.

Well to me it seems that your PSU could be cause for concern. Running a 8800GT on a single rail PSU is ok as long as you have 24A~ on the rail. Your PSU doesn't seem to meet that requirement. (Although the 8800GT does not require that much power for the performance it delivers). Look around on your MOBO, are any of the caps (Capacitors) busted at the top? Do you Overclock at all, any one or a combination of multiple problems could be the result in your dilemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom