Music Organizer / General Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkpitt45

Daemon Poster
Friend of mine runs a DJ company in town, and was just using some generic Dell pc as his office/home (same place; some people are lucky :p) machine. He's starting to notice it slowing down as its a couple years old and there's a lot of old programs and such on it.

I tried to clean it up a bit using some programs (spybot, installed AVG to scan, and few others) helped a bit. So he came over to my place later and used mine for a bit, now he's sold on a quad core pc. I told him I could try to put something together for to consider instead of buying another pre-built. Not exactly sure on his budget but I'm guessing it'd be around $600-700 max.

Basically its just going to be a surfing, media, multitasking, and storage build. So no overclocking or gaming or anything really cpu intensive. He's also knows almost nothing about computers so it just has to run, and run well.

CPU/Processor
Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom 9650 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Just an older phenom, but it should be more than enough I'm thinking. The Q8200 is $50 more and I'm pretty sure the difference wouldn't be worth it.

MOBO
Newegg.ca - ASRock A780LM AM2+/AM2 AMD RS780L (760G) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Never really heard of AsRock before, but its got good reviews, simple, and inexpensive.

RAM
Newegg.ca - OCZ Blade Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model OCZ2B800C44GK - Desktop Memory
Cheapest 4gb kit with a good name I could find.

PSU
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Should be more than enough; and Corsair FTW.

GPU
Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE 100254HDMI Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Not really sure here, all I'd like it to do is run Aero and keep videos smooth.

Case
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Elite RC-310-BWN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Thought this one might be good, cheaper, and it has a window which he said he'd like.

CD/DVD Burner
Newegg.ca - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners
Not much choice in these.

As for the Hard Drive/Drives I was thinking this Seagate 5900rpm drive for the majority of his songs. Newegg.ca - Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Then maybe this WD for the OS + programs and data. Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

I guess we'll probably go with Vista for now as the OS.

Any improvements/suggestions/price cuts?

Thanks.

Edit: Ooo ends up at $760 without an OS, maybe just the one HDD then.

He'd be much better with a Phenom II than a Phenom - possibly also better off with just a triple- or dual-core (such as the Phenom II 720 or 550), if room in the budget is needed for adequate storage space.

ASRock is ASUS' budget brand - however if you get a Phenom II the board will need to support that (i.e. AM3 processors).

Decent RAM.

Good choice on PSU, will be plenty.

GPU is a little much actually, if he's not gonna be gaming at all then an HD4350 or 9500GT will be plenty.

Everything else is fine.

The old Phenoms really are that bad? Never used one before but I heard they were garbage compared to Intels quads. The 550 looks like it would be perfect though. The combo deals on newegg list it with DDR2 RAM, I was under the impression that AM3 boards needed DDR3, has newegg made a mistake or is it just a case of performance DDR2 vs DDR3?

Edit: All of the listen AM3 boards only support DDR3, so the DDR2 would be for the AM2+ and AM3 mobos then?

Some AM2+ chipsets support AM3 processors, for example 785G (I recently put together a build for my grandfather with PII 550 and an ASUS 785G).

Ah ok, now I get it. Anyways revised a bit and managed to shave off $50.

DVD/CD Drive
Newegg.ca - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

Sata Cable
Newegg.ca - Nippon Labs Premium 18" (1.5 ft.) SATA II Cable with locking latch for SATA I and SATA II Hard Drive Model SATA-L0.5-R - Cables Needed an extra as the mobo only comes with two

Case
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Elite RC-310-BWN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases Same as before

HDDs
Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives WD 640gb
Newegg.ca - Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives Seagate 1Tb

PSU
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies Found a 400w corsair for $60 and with a $20 MIR

CPU/Ram
Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! Went with the non Black edition Callisto, not going to be overclocked at all so why pay an extra $15? Along with some OCZ DDR3.

Mobo/GPU
Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! Just a basic Gigabyte board, not doing anything that stressful soo. Along with a 4350, which should be enough to run videos and Aero nice and smooth.

Probably going to order on monday so just some last checks would be nice :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom