HUGE problem, nothing opens anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas85

Solid State Member
I think I have some sort of virus, most likely because I was recently connected to the university LAN. Anyway, no matter what I try to open (Messenger, AdAware, WMP, even things like Add/Remove programs), I get an error message saying:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options contol panel"

Now I've been to the Folder Options control panel, and all file types already have their correct association (.exe isn't in there, but there is no standard program for openeing .exe, as they are self-executable).

The problem is, I can't download a virus checker or run Spybot/adAware because they won't open. For some reason, the only things that work (that I've tried) are Firefox, and my music in winamp.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is horrible...

*edit* I'm running XP Pro.

yes, try what Elbatrop1 says. If that doesn't work I would do a google for the problem and if u do not get a solution I would try the repair option with the XP disc and if that doesn't werk I woulf format....u can't work on yur comp this way.

I knew Winamp rocks!!! :D

It's exactly the same in safe mode, nothing will open. I have also tried restarting from the last good configuration, and it's the same still.

I can't actually run any anti-virus software because I can't open .exes .

Ugh, this has been the worse day ever already, this is the last thing I needed.

*edit* Thanks Major, the problem is I don't actually have the disk because I'm at uni (and it wasn't technically my copy to begin with), so I am going to have to wait for weeks until I can get hold of it again. You're not talking about reinstalling it are you, there's actually a procedure you can go through on the disk? Formatting is gonna blow :confused:

*edit 2* Ok I will list all of the applications that are running, and try and point out the ones which I know are not the problem:

taskmgr.exe - Fine
mdm.exe
explorer.exe
firefox.exe - Fine
svchost.exe - Fine?
CTSVCCDA.exe
alg.exe
ctfmon.exe - Fine?
scvhost.exe
scvhost.exe
scvhost.exe
scvhost.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
wbload.exe - Fine
system - Fine
system idle process - Fine

So does anyone recognise anything that could be the problem?

If u want to keep ur data u can try the repair option. U can also try an overlay install, but the best thing is formatting, although u lose al data.
I would suggest to put the drive in another comp, then copy important data from it and format the thing.
The easiest way to format is with the XP disc.

TheMajor said:

I would suggest to put the drive in another comp, then copy important data from it and format the thing.

Won't that just transfer the problem along with it?

Right, thanks. I'll see if I can get the disc as soon as possible.

Before I attempt it though, I'll wait to see if anyone else has any input (no offence of course, it's just that there maybe someone who has experienced this before in some capacity). Thanks for your help, I'll try and keep you posted.

Any more takers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom