USB keyboard not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

weewun

In Runtime
Hi there. I recently bought a USB keyboard for my computer (a Razer Arctosa) because they wire comming out the the keyobard i have is making it disconnect somtime :p.

The problem is that my new keyboard wont work. I plugged it in and typical windows bubble appears and tells em that it has successfully installed the device. I put in the CD that came with the KB and it downloads and installs the correct drivers for it. I then restart my PC as it instructs. When windows boots up again the KB does not work - as in no key strokes are being detected, but the NUM LOCK light is on. The strange thing is that the multimedia keys work (play/pause/mute etc.). They keyboard also works in the bios, its just when windows begins to boot up that it stops working.

I have contacted the Razer support team but havent gotten very far. Below is that they have said if it helps. Since receiving the last reply i have updated my motherboard chipset drivers (on the drivers page for my mobo it only had chipset, lan, audio and raid drivers).

It sounds like it is a problem with my USB ports or somthing like that...

Hello,

Ian

If you tried the KB on another system and it works its not a KB issue but a USB configuration issue on the system its not working on. You could try contacting the system manufacture and making sure you have the correct drivers for the USB controllers installed and that your not using GENERIC STANDARD ENHANCED USB HOST controllers. These types of drivers are GENERIC WINDOWS DRIVERS and have issues detecting certain USB devices. specifically devices that have there own driver set . I usually see these drivers on NFORCE Mobo's in that Nforce depends solely on Windows drivers in alot of there MOBO's. If its not an nforce then the USB controllers in device manager should read one of the following entries...INTEL or VIA or SIS these are the big names in USB chipsets.
This could also be a Root Hub power issue in that if other usb devices that draw more than the normal current are also plugged in at the same time your trying install the ARC could be an issue as well.

Motherboard manufactures release new software drivers to better improve both performance and stability in Windows several times a year. Downloading and installing these free updates can cure a myriad of problems, including random crashes, odd audio and display problems, and unique error messages. Manufacturers often offer these free updates for download on their website. If you know the make and model of the motherboard, please contact the motherboard manufacturer for the updates. If the machine came pre-assembled (e.g. Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc), please contact the company that built the computer to ensure the correct update is obtained and installed.

Your customer number is ***********
Please refer to case #:: *********** if you have any further questions.

If you need further assistance, you can also reach us online at Razer Support. Please include all previous replies when/if responding to this message.

Best Regards,
Paul at Razer Technical Support
support-us@razersupport.com

-----------------------
ok, I have tested the keyboard and it works on another vista PC.
I have tried it in an few different USB ports etc.
I checked in BIOS and enabled usb keyboards but it still does not work.
The keyboard works in the bios but when windows starts to boot it stops working. Now the Num Lock light is on and will not go off (presuming because of the change to bios).
I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers for the keyboard multiple times.
In Device manager it does not show up as a keyboard, but as an Human Interface Device.

Cheers, Ian.

> From: support-uk@razersupport.com
> To: ***************
> CC:
> Subject: In response to your question about Razer Arctosa, your customer number is ***********
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:22:26 -0400
>
> Hello,
>
>
>
> Please try the following:
>
> 1. Try plugging the device into a different USB port on the system. If the device is plugged into a USB port on the front of the system, try a USB port in the back.
> 2. Disconnect all other USB devices.
> 3. Remove any USB Hubs. Plug the device directly into a USB on the system.
> 4. Try the product on another system, without using any drivers. Does the problem still occur?
> 5. If the problem is occurring in an application, does the problem occur outside the application directly in the operating system?
>
> Your customer number is ************
> Please refer to case #:: ***********if you have any further questions.
>
> If you need further assistance, you can also reach us online at Razer | For Gamers. By Gamers.â„¢. Please include all previous replies when/if responding to this message.
>
> Best Regards,
> Justin M. at Razer Technical Support
> support-uk@razersupport.com
> -----------------------
> Hi, I just bought the Razer Arctosa keyboard from you but I
> cannot get it to work. I followed the instruction (plug it in, insert disk
> and follow instructions). When i first plugged it in, my Pc automatically
> installed it. then I installed the razer software for it. I restarted the
> computer but no key strokes were being registered. The num lock/caps
> lock/scroll lock lights would nto come on when i prressed the keys to turn
> them on/off. The only input i could see working was the mute key on the
> media pad att the top right of the keyboard. This successfully
> muted/unmuted my computer.
>
> Is the keyboard dead on arrival or is something not configured properly on
> my computer?
>
> Cheers, Ian
>
> Windows Vista 32-bit
> intel quad core 2.4Ghz
> 4GB RAM

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Ian

Yea, I would try and uninstall the Razer driver that you installed. I doubt it's a problem with the USB ports if it works fine in the BIOS and worked fine before you installed the driver.

Ok, I uninstalled the drivers for the keyboard and unplugged/plugged it back in and just let windows install its own drivers, but the keyboard still doesnt work (i even restarted the PC to make sure that wasnt needed).

From what i can gather, its connecting to my PC but windows doesnt know to treat it as a keyboard. In device manager it is only found under "Human Interface Devices" and not keyboards.

When i plug it in and let windows install it itself, 5 new entried appear in the HID tab on device manager:

HID - compliant consumer controll device
HID - compliant device
HID - compliant device
USB Human Interface Device
USB Human Interface Device

The only other item under the HID tab is my mouse, but it also appears under "mice and other pointing devices". under the keyboards tab is this KB i am currently using. When i try to install my new KB with this one unplugged, the keyboards tab in device manager completely dissapears.

Is there something i can to to force windows to see it as a KB? or somethign else i can try?

Cheers, Ian

ok, managed to finally get it working. annoying simple and shoulda done this anyway. the new service pack for vista (SP2) fixed the issue when i downloaded it and installed it. I didnt realise there was a new SP out for it so i hadnt thought of that :p. cheers for the help you guys gave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom