What are your system specs?

I'm running:

Windows 7 RC

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ Reaper HPC 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR10664GK

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor OVERCLOCKED to 3.4GHz

AeroCool Dominator 140mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

XFX PVT98GYDLU GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ700 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Patent Piperock Modular Power Supply

(RAID 0) 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LG Black 20X DVD+R

All in a Custom Case, Painted by me :D

Mak: If your board has Advanced Clock Calibration (ACC), you might be able to unlock your X2 545 so that you have 4 active cores, by enabling it in BIOS.

All of the AMD X2 5xx series chips and X3 7xx series chips use a quad core die with cores disabled.
It's not guaranteed to work - Some cores are disabled because they don't work. Sometimes you just need to increase the core volts a bit. Most of the time they work fine. - From what I've seen, success rate is relatively high.

I will take a look at the BIOS. Thanks for the tip Apok.

Edit*

Alright just restarted and checked. It does have ACC. I looked and it shows the 4 cores. But it only gives a % for adjustment. right now they are all set at -2%. I dont know anything beyond that or if that should be adjusted.

I will take a look at the BIOS. Thanks for the tip Apok.

Edit*

Alright just restarted and checked. It does have ACC. I looked and it shows the 4 cores. But it only gives a % for adjustment. right now they are all set at -2%. I dont know anything beyond that or if that should be adjusted.
ACC was originally designed to try and increase the stability of Phenom CPU's, so that you could get higher clocks.
It is actually rather accidental that ACC enables people to unlock cores.

All you need to do is enable it. The + or - values are just tweaks to try improving stability when overclocking. It varies between chip to chip how much of an effect it has or what values make it more stable.

If you are not planning on overclocking it to its limits, you won't really need to worry about what values to use (auto is fine).

One thing I discovered is that when the cores are unlocked, it stops the thermal sensor from working. So you can't use software temperature monitoring.
If you have adequate cooling it won't be a problem. It's more of an issue for overclocking (overclockers often buy and use an infrared temperature sensor, which gives more accurate readings anyway)

Well i have set ACC to enable and run CPUz. But it still only shows 2 cores. So i dont know if it worked.

I dont really plan on OC at this point in time. First AMD CPU and well still trying to learn the ropes. After running a P$ for 6 years have to adjust to newer things.

When I unlocked the cores of an X2 550, Windows needed to install the other two cores (I used XP). Though the hardware wizard popped up automatically.
It also showed as a "Phenom II X4 B50" instead of "Phenom II X2 550".

Maybe try going through the add hardware wizard
Well i have set ACC to enable and run CPUz. But it still only shows 2 cores. So i dont know if it worked.

I dont really plan on OC at this point in time. First AMD CPU and well still trying to learn the ropes. After running a P$ for 6 years have to adjust to newer things.
Try setting ACC to manually adjust the % for each core individually, and use 0% for all.

Anyway, the person I built that computer for got a really good deal. 4 cores for the price of 2. And the Phenom II's are very fast chips.

I dont think there is a option for 0% but i will check. It looked like it had intervals of 2% starting at +/-2 and working up to 12. I will check in a moment after i finish the couple things i got going on right now. ;)

Thanks for the tips Apok. Never knew you could do so much with a AMD. :D

*Edit*

Set it to 0 (Zero) and still not working. It still boots. But a scan for hardware changes via the device manager doesnt show any new hardware to be installed.

I dont think there is a option for 0% but i will check. It looked like it had intervals of 2% starting at +/-2 and working up to 12. I will check in a moment after i finish the couple things i got going on right now. ;)

Thanks for the tips Apok. Never knew you could do so much with a AMD. :D
Yeah, a lot of people like that. There's more variables and options which can affect a K10/K10.5 platform than a socket 775 system, or even an i7 system.
They may or may not get top spot, but some people just find it more fun.

*edit*
Set it to 0 (Zero) and still not working. It still boots. But a scan for hardware changes via the device manager doesnt show any new hardware to be installed.
Did you see 4 cores to tweak the values of in the BIOS?

Back
Top Bottom