Messed up lappy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromos1048

Baseband Member
I got got a used laptop from a friend that is running windows XP Home. In the process on trying to set it up so that I could connect to the internet through another computer, the lappy decided to change the resolution and color settings all by itself after a reboot. It is so small that I cannot click "apply" in "display" to change the resolution back to where it should be. The colors are locked at 4 bits, same problem: I can't reach "apply" to change it. I've tried moving the box up, but it won't move far enough. Tried pushing "TAB", guessing where apply is and pressing enter, but all I get is a black screen with a blinking -. After a moment, it goes back to the desktop, which consists of a square of about 8x9 in.

So... I'm wondering if it is possible to change the resolution and colors via cmd.exe?

Sounds like there's more issues there than just a resolution change. Try doing a repair install for XP, you'll need the XP installation disk.

First though try booting into safe mode (usually hit f8 for extra boot options) and uninstall your graphics drivers if you can.

I just went ahead and did a fill re-install... it had Home on it, and I just stuck Pro on there. There wasn't anything worth keeping really... now I just have to get all the drivers back again... again. I had it all right earlier until it started acting up. I'll post if I run into any more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom