Bout 3000 to spend, go nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holes

Beta member
Alright I have a budget of about 3000 or more to spend on a new computer. I need it for menial school activities but mostly for gaming. I would like it high performance as my budget allows. I also need everything from a mouse/keyboard to a CPU/MB to a headset.

Here is a list of basically what I need, maybe some exceptions I haven't thought of..

Motherboard
CPU
Graphics Card
Memory
Sound (including speakers/sub)
Storage
Case
CD/DVD Roms
Printer
Mouse
Keyboard
Headset
Monitor

This is what I have conjured up thus far, but are of course subject to change..
Motherboard - nForce 790i Ultra SLI MCP
CPU - intel core 2 quad q9550s
Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 285 1GB GDDR3 512-bit 648MHz PCI-E
Memory - ddr3-1800 4gb kit

When helping me with this, keep in mind I'm primarily building this for gaming. I would like plenty of fast storage as well.

Well with that budget an i7 would be the way to go not a Qxxxx series.

$1500 to $2000 is more than enough to fill the bill.
I would copy my build adding an intel x25 ssd for os and programs, a 1tb wd black for storage and go with the 285 or 2 for graphics. If you go sli I would go to the 850tx psu from corsair.

Since you specifically said sub, I'm guessing you like bass. These are the most powerful for the price that I have ever heard:
Newegg.com - Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System - Speakers

Keyboard:
Newegg.com - Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard - Keyboards

Mouse:
Newegg.com - Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse - Mouse

Monitor:
Dell S2409W 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Other than headset, those would be my picks for peripherals. I'm still looking for a decent headset myself, I haven't liked the 5+ I have tried.

well i would hold off on the GPU. because in a month ATI and Nvidia are releasing thier new DX11 GPU's so it's best to get something like a GTX 260 to hold you over untill the new cards are released.

CPU/Mobo: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

SSD: Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

HDD/RAM: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards (x2)

Alt GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Optical: Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Thermal Paste: Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Mouse: Newegg.com - Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse - Mouse

Keyboard: Newegg.com - Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard - Keyboards

Total: $2097.87 - $50 in MIR = $2047.87 (But like phil said, hold off a bit on the GPU if you want.)

Total (Alt GPU): $1,597.88 - $80 in MIR = $1,517.88

Also, how much do you plan to OC, so I can recommend a heatsink.

I've decided to go with the i7 950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz. I doubt that I will have the prowess to OC it.

But suggest a heatsink anyways just in case.

The 920 is hard to beat for the price. If you know what your doing the 920 will run as fast as a 950. Mine has reach 4.949GHz, thou it wasn't what I would call stable. But it did run SuperPi :D

I would go with Nubbleet's build as it's basically following Hefe's guidelines. I also agree that you should wait a few on the high-end graphic's card, thou it's likely to be a little longer than a month before the new cards come out. I think ATi is slated for the end of October and speculation says Nvidia will be early November.

Thanks for the responses so far. If I wanted to OC my 920 to act like a 940 or 950, what sorta heatsink am I lookin at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom