Laptop Broblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodneymullen

Beta member
Can somebody please help me with this problem? I have this laptop with vista home premium and a gig of ram. For some reason theres about 800 megs of ram being used at all time. When you add up all the processes running there should be about 90 megs of ram being used. But for some reason all the rams being used up by something and nothings running at all that should take up even half that much ram. Someone please help me with this because i have no idea on what to do. I really don't want to format the computer, it's not even mine.

Edit: I messed up the title, you get the idea though.

Vista is going to take up about that much. I have Ultimate and it takes up 1.2 gig ram at any given time.

First make sure you don't have any virus's. Scan with an up-to-date scanner. Also download something like SpyBot S&D to scan for malware.

Second see what unneeded programs are running in the background. If your laptop is like any other you purchase at the store it comes with a ton of crap like HP solution cetner, dell shopping, etc - uninstall these items.

Third see what is starting up with your computer that is not needed. Click start, then in the run line type msconfig. Go to the startup tab and unselect anything you don't use on a regular basis. Again focusing on stupid things like Dell shopping, or HP Medic Center.

Fourth you can 'tone down' vista by making the OS geared towards performance instead of looks. Right click on My Computer, go to properties, then on the left there is an advanced system settings. Hit the performance button and deselect a lot of those. Or just select the best performance.

Lastly if all of that still doesn't bring down the memory usage you'll just have to purchase more RAM. I mean you are at the MINIMUM of RAM to even run Vista, much less run the aero interface that you propbably are running.

Also in addition to above, unless you're slowing down, having the ram almost full will add zippiness to your programs.

Vistas designed to rum in your RAM more thanb XP was.

What brand?

My ACER as 96 processes running.

Sounds normal to me. 1GB is not alot of memory anymore especially since you can buy 4GB for ~$40 or so. Upgrade your memory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom