$300 Build for Sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

truebe

In Runtime
I've been out of computer hardware for a while, help me out. We've already got a monitor. It was either this or a netbook, and no one wants to do their homework on those tiny things. So far I've got

e5200 $65
Mushkin 2GB Value $25
WD 160GB $40
DVD/RW $30
Keyboard $6
Mouse $10
Pad $10
Headset $10

I need help with the case and psu and motherboard.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite RC-330-KKR1 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Computer Cases
This an option?

Anything I should reconsider? Thanks!

truebe

well, whats going to be the main use for this pc? with $300, i dont know if you can get a gaming pc, but i see that youve included a headset into your budget, then again gaming might not be the only use for one, just curious.

do you also need an OS?

She needs it for school online. The build hikari made looks nice. I forgot to mention she needs a webcam as well, and I don't know anything about those. I'm assuming the PSU in that case is fine then?

As for the Athlon 2 X2, what is a comparable Intel CPU, just so I can get an idea?

I do not need an os.

Thanks!

truebe

The x2 250 is waaayy better than the e5200 you picked out. I'm not sure exactly, but the 250 beat the e7400 in some benchmarks I saw by a big margin. I'm sure it could beat even higher intel models.

Budget intel chips are overpriced.

Not really sure, those X2s are pretty new. Probably something from the e7xxx series. Looking at some benchmarks, it's outperformed by the E8xxx series, but nothing below that.

That's a great deal then!

So the PSU is good to go then? And can anyone recommend a webcam?

Logitech makes some decent webcams, other than that, I dunno specifics.

I would say the PSU is adequate, and CM brand PSUs aren't that bad in the grand scheme of things, they're pretty decent. It'll be good enough for general use.

You'll be fine with 800 speed.

I don't like the look of that board, I don't trust Zotac as a brand. Not to mention the 8200 chipset is not that great either. The 785G would be better, and have better onboard graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom