Overheating problem and possible solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verruckt

Beta member
A few months ago I bought a Gateway FX 6800-01e and for awhile it ran fine. But recently it has been overheating. I used RealTemp and at idle the temps read anywhere from the low to mid 50s. As soon as I start playing Far Cry 2 it shuts down. The case doesn't have any place to add addition fans so I'm thinking about upgrading the case to the Thermaltake XPRESSAR RCS100. I have already cleaned the case and am currently using a box fan to cool it.
thermaltake-xpressar-microfridge-case.html

I'm also wanting to oc the cpu so what would be the best mobo?

I currently have a i7 920, ATI 4850HD, 750 HD, 3 gbs of DDR3 and a 500 watt power supply. Since it has 5 internal 3.5 bays I want to fill them with 2TB hard drives. I also want to bump the ram up to 16 gbs.

I wouldn't buy that case. I wouldn't buy that case. I have a desire to keep saying it :D

If you want a nice case, at a decent price, that will help keep your PC cool get this.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

I googled Gateway FX 6800-01e and it said you have a i7 920 cpu, correct? And your wanting to overclock. This is a good stable mobo and it has good overclocking options.

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And a good cpu heatsink and thermal paste is the key to overclocking success :D

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

If you don't mind ordering from more than one shop I would go with this heatsink and fan and the paste above.

Prolimatech Megahalems Intel CPU Heatsink (LGA 775 / 1366) (AM2** / AM2+** / AM3**) - FrozenCPU.com

SilverStone FM123 120x120x25mm w/ Fan Controller - (FN123) - FrozenCPU.com

If you want to go all out and kick in a little elbow grease this is the best heatsink combo but you'll need to lap the heatsink. I've added a video for you. And the paste above.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366 RT Rev. B CPU Heatsink (Socket LGA 1366) - FrozenCPU.com

I also want to bump the ram up to 16 gbs.

16gb? 6gb is all you need. I would order this and sell the 3GB kit your using now.

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

or this for a little more.

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

I checked out the case you suggested and really like the looks of it. I also shouldn't have any more problems with overheating and if I decide it can easily be setup for water cooling. I have a question about the heatsink though it looks pretty big, are the screws that mount it to the mobo the only thing that holds it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom