I think I have a hardware issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdawg12

Beta member
Hello..

I have run into an issue with my main desktop, I use it for gaming and personal work (office, Adobe, etc.). I built the box a couple of years ago and don't remember all the stats on it, but it is something close to as follows: AMD 2800, 2 gigs RAM, ATI RAdeon 256MB.

At any rate, the computer started freezing up on me some months back. It would simply just freeze at any random point. I could restart and everything was normal. As time went by, the freezes happened more often, and it started happening such that I would have to reboot two or three times to get back into windows (using XP). Eventually it got pretty bad where I would reboot and it would not boot, but after a couple more power cycles it would boot again. Some short time ago, I got to the point where I can no longer get into windows. The computer now freezes anywhere from the RAM check stage or later and sometimes gets to start booting windows and freezes when windows is booting. To try and reboot takes sometimes 2-10 power cycles to get into the BIOS even.

I opened the case and found my case fan was no longer working and am in the process of replacing it - however, when I do get into the BIOS, the computer appears to be running at a reasonable temp and the heatsink fan is still running just fine. The video card fan is running just fine as well.

Any ideas/help would be great. I have a nagging feeling that replacing the simple case fan is not going to solve my woes.

Thanks.

Yha case fans very unlikely, but possible.. Could allow heat build up.

Could very well be the power supply. Yhou'd need a digital Multimeter DMM, to check you Volts and Amps of it though.

sorry .. hihi ..
I ment that replacing the fan will remove the problem :p ...
this problem must be because the cpu temp is too high !

& looks like the cpu temp is getting higher every time .. when the computer freezes the cpu temp starts to decrease .. but it will not unfreeze until restarting ..

you can check the heatsink once the computer freezes to make sure the cpu temp is not too high !

sorry for my bad English .. & sorry for the missunderstanding :)

I understand what you meant, but how will that fix his problem? What do you use to back this claim up? Especially since the CPU fan is the one that is still working?

Sorry but the CPU Temp is not the issue. If the CPU temp was to high and it was the issue, it would not let them restart the PC right away as it would still be to hot to use and it would need to cool down for a period of time first before the PC could be used again.

It is not a problem with the CPU Fan at all. Not to mention he already said they work....

I agree with paton and phil that RAM or PSU are the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom