Computer is off, Usb Devices on

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambab

Baseband Member
Ive noticed with my computer when its off my external hard drive and my wireless adapter (usb), are still getting power.

I was wondering whether or not is it safe to leave them on? or should i unplug them?

I imagine your ext hard drive is plugged into a power socket somewhere, so it would not turn off with the computer as it's not powered by the comp.

And unless you switch the computer off at the wall or switch the power supply off there will still small amounts of power running through the machine - for stuff like motherboard lights and such.

its a USB external harddrive so its plugged into a usb socket at the back of my computer. (thats the only power going to it)

Then I would recommend unplugging it when you turn the computer off. It's a little odd that it doesn't do so on it's own, though.

However now I think about it, if it's still on and spinning when you turn the comp off, then abruptly cutting the power might damage it. So I dunno. But if it's not actually spinning, and it's only a light or something on then you'd be fine leaving it plugged in.

ye i think its probably best leaving it plugged in, ill take my wireless adapter out though because that gets quite warm which isent good for it.

thanks for your help

Ive come across this with a few boards, One of them had a section in the book about powering on the system with the keyboard and certain USB ports remained powered even when the the PC was powered down, My fathers system is like that but he doesn't have that option turned on but his mouse is always powered up, He has a lot of usb things plugged in and on the back 2 ports stay powered and the other 4 power down when he shuts down, You could try switching things around and find out if all of them stay powered or just certain ones and plug non essential things to the powered on all the time.

Dauntae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom