9800 Pro still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
With all of this talk about the X800 and 6800, is the 9800 Pro still a good card to game with? In my system right now (in the sig) my video card is definitely bottlenecking me in gameplay. Can the 9800 Pro still play any game out today on at least reasonable settings? Thanks for the help.

Yes, the 9800 Pro is still a good card and is probably the best bang for your buck around right now. It will play all games flawlessly with high settings and even some AA and AF at this moment.

beedubaya, thanks for the reply. Since you mentioned it, can you tell the difference in a game with AA and AF turned on? As you can see from my card, I haven't ever been able to try it :)

AA will make it to where the sides of objects in 3D games are smooth instead of jaggy. AF will make distant objects appear clearer. You can have high AF and not sacrifice too many fps, but AA really takes a toll on your fps.

AA stands for Anti Aliasing and like beedubaya said, it takes away those jaggy lines on curves and diagonal lines by resampling (2x, 4x...)to smooth the edges.
AF is Anisotropic Filtering and it is also used to make close up objects look a lot clearer (such as writings on a computer screen, details on a wall etc...) There is a good layman explanation if you follow this link: http://www.technicallythere4you.com/phpbb2_index956.html

It is still good for current games coming out and should still be good until the next generation games do come out. It all depends on what you expect and how much details you want. If you don't care much about newer technology and small improvements and can manage with lower resolution and lower settings, you might be good for a few years still. If you do get it, get a 256 M card and it will last you a bit longer.

zerozero said:
It is still good for current games coming out and should still be good until the next generation games do come out. It all depends on what you expect and how much details you want. If you don't care much about newer technology and small improvements and can manage with lower resolution and lower settings, you might be good for a few years still. If you do get it, get a 256 M card and it will last you a bit longer.

The next generation games i guess will REQUIRE a GeForce 6800 or greater to run well.

by what ive read.

a 9600 xt extreme overclocked (mem 800, core 570) is that still a good card for awile although it only has 4 piplines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom