2x 280GTX SLI vs. 1x 290GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
I want to know whether two EVGA GeForce 280 GTX's in SLI will preform better than a single EVGA GeForce 295 GTX? I'm willing to spend $500 on graphics cards, whether that means 2 cards in SLI or a single card. (price wise i looked and the GTX 280's in SLI and they are equal to one 295 GTX) So it all comes down to which one preforms better. Your thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

(My apologies for the incorrect title, i meant 295 GTX)

have you also taken into consideration any other costs with sli or a 295, like if your psu is good enough?

2 280's will beat 1 295, but you might also be closing yourself to future upgrades.

Does the GTX 295 act the same as two cards in SLI? I remember reading somewhere that it is two GTX 275 GPU's on one board. So if it's got two GPU, SLIing them would make it a quad-SLI? I could never afford two of them, yet along two 280s but I'm just wondering how it would work.

i think it is like two 260's but with some upgraded ram? i dont know, i dont care either since i will never afford one lol. but yeah, two in sli would be quad sli.

have you also taken into consideration any other costs with sli or a 295, like if your psu is good enough?

2 280's will beat 1 295, but you might also be closing yourself to future upgrades.

I already have a 1200W PSU, so i have no concerns with power whatsoever, and as to the extra costs of SLI, the only other thing that comes to mind is that i need to buy a SLI connection cable, which isn't more than $20 max. I really want to know if there is a comparison between the two, such as scores from 3DMark Vantage/6 or even something as simple as FPS readouts from different games, Cryisis, WoW, Etc, and their respective scores in different resolutions and game settings. If anyone has any idea where i could find some info on this that would be quite excellent. Thanks.

i think it is like two 260's but with some upgraded ram? i dont know, i dont care either since i will never afford one lol. but yeah, two in sli would be quad sli.

it is 2 GTX 275's on a single PCB in sli.

but all of is kind of pointless if you run at a resolution of 1680x1050 or less. what resolution do you run at?

I have 2 -GTX 280's in SLI, here's my best 2 card run to date

27,497 - ORB - Compare

I installed the new Nvidia 190.62 drivers yesterday, ran Vantage and lost a few points.

27,227 - ORB - Compare

I looked for a single GTX 295 score but there are pages of Quad SLI scores to go thru.

I play every game at 1920x1200 w/ Max Settings. That includes Crysis. But I'm also running an i7 920 @ 4.2GHz 24/7 which helps deliver the maximum amount of Video Bandwidth.

If your running a 3GHz cpu it's not going to match up to a 4GHz cpu with the same vid cards.

^ ya, i run at 1680x1050 and with my Core 216 and Q9300 even at 3.2GHz can still easily max crysis and GTA IV and get easily 20+ FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom