Tested D0 intel i7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 sockets? Do you mean the X-clamp. Here's another picture showing what I'm referring to as the X-clamp. It's also showing you the socket size it's meant to accommodate, your other X-clamp should be for the LGA 775 socket. And lastly you can see the 1/2 of a Business Card I've added as a shim (I lapped the cpu and heatsink).

I didn't get the X-clamp option, here:

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_p...ex-1366rt/product_cpu_cooler_1366rt_revb.html

if you go to the parts list, you should get an idea.

or else here's the link to pdf.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/download_images/booklet/120rt_revb/1366.pdf

---

I got two sockets with that, both look same, and both are LGA 1366

I've never seen that mounting kit. I'll go out on a limb and say you should go ahead and order one of these. I buy stuff from both of these places so it's a choice of shipping options :D

Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru-Kit Retail BOX Bolt-thru Board Mounting kit Products Model: BTK-LGA1366 [BTK-LGA1366] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru Board Mounting Kit (Ultra series / HR-01 Plus / HR-01 4U / HR-01 3U / Ultima-90) - FrozenCPU.com

What are you calling a socket?
trueparts.jpg

I've never seen that mounting kit. I'll go out on a limb and say you should go ahead and order one of these. I buy stuff from both of these places so it's a choice of shipping options :D

Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru-Kit Retail BOX Bolt-thru Board Mounting kit Products Model: BTK-LGA1366 [BTK-LGA1366] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru Board Mounting Kit (Ultra series / HR-01 Plus / HR-01 4U / HR-01 3U / Ultima-90) - FrozenCPU.com

What are you calling a socket?
trueparts.jpg

I got 2 of them 0.o

They probably just made a packaging error :D

lol yippeee; I'll load the entire heat sink again after I finish lapping (last sandpaper).

and I'll take pics and post.

Btw, any vids on how to apply thermal paste to heatsink/cpu

and, can I wash the heat sink with water after I finish lapping?

[then let it dry before I put it in]

lol after 3 hrs of lapping, I got:

picture001cbh.jpg

Any idea how to fix the corners? - I don't want to start lapping again, cause I'll overdo the already lapped part...

or is it fine and I can mount it?

I like to visualize the cpu heatsink as having 9 sections, 3 up and 3 down, and then I put just a dab of paste in the center of each. By dab I mean very little, maybe a 1/4 the size of a small match head. Then I just let the heatsink spread it. Use a 1/2 of a Business Card as a shim as I have done. By lapping the heatsink it's not as large anymore and the card will keep the heatsink nice and tight.

I'm not sure about your corners, it looks like you've over sanded them or you didn't keep the heatsink good and level. I would give it a go and see if it's cooling better. If it hasn't improved you may need to sand more.

I like to visualize the cpu heatsink as having 9 sections, 3 up and 3 down, and then I put just a dab of paste in the center of each. By dab I mean very little, maybe a 1/4 the size of a small match head. Then I just let the heatsink spread it. Use a 1/2 of a Business Card as a shim as I have done. By lapping the heatsink it's not as large anymore and the card will keep the heatsink nice and tight.

I'm not sure about your corners, it looks like you've over sanded them or you didn't keep the heatsink good and level. I would give it a go and see if it's cooling better. If it hasn't improved you may need to sand more.

in that case should I start at the lowest and move up again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom