Big CPU Upgrade Mess (Help Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright, bought a new harddrive, tried to install windows. first time through, it froze, the second time it restarted... so i swapped out my RAM and even reseated my cpu with new thermal paste just to be sure; same problems. then, a message from my mobo came up "cpu is unworkable or has been changed." so i guess my cpu is faulty? time to send it back as DOA and get a new one?

after going into my bios, i noticed the CPU settings were set on User Defined... that's a bit strange, so i changed it back to Auto Detect. tried to setup windows and my computer still restarts without warning or error message. maybe i should put my old cpu back in and hope things go ok?

"The time to clear the CMOS memory occurs whenever there is modification on the CPU or memory modules.."
…quoted directly from your motherboard's manual.
As Slaymate said before: try resetting the bios. It's a pretty simple task.

1. Directly below the CPU and SATA slots 1, 2, 3, and 4 there is a switcher, labeled “CCMOS1”
2. The default is going to be on 2 and 1.
3. Turn off your computer.. duh
4. Switch it over to 3 and 2 for a few seconds.
5. Switch it back to 2 and 1.

The motherboard knows when you take something like that out. If you take your CPU out and put it back in without new thermal paste, your computer will not turn on until there is new paste on it. I love Abit's security features.

Now that “should” fix the CPU problem. As for the other problems.. try keeping your new ram out of it, and using your old ram, that could be the problem right there.

Note* I'm not sure if it's the same for your motherboard, but this should also be how you take your computer out of alarm mode. Good to know if you are doing any over clocking.

The motherboard knows when you take something like that out. If you take your CPU out and put it back in without new thermal paste, your computer will not turn on until there is new paste on it. I love Abit's security features.

What? How can a computer detect whether or not you have thermal paste?

i've already sent the cpu back for an exchange. hopefully the new one (which i get in about 5 days or so) will work :|

also, i did check my socket under magnifying glass for dust/hair/defects/ect. and there is nothing.

and, im not sure about reseting my CMOS... i updated it so that it would support my new cpu. if you had to reset it for a new cpu, then how would you update it again if the cpu is different and not supported by your mobo?

Your BIOS might still have had settings from your old hardware, resetting it would start clean and not have anything that was old conflict. If you updated it before you installed your new cpu, it would be the same, still have old information.

and, im not sure about reseting my CMOS... i updated it so that it would support my new cpu. if you had to reset it for a new cpu, then how would you update it again if the cpu is different and not supported by your mobo?

Think of your bios chip as a little computer inside a computer. The update you did was like installing the windows operating system on the big PC. So at this point we have determined that your bios has a operating system and your PC has a operating system.

So now you add new hardware. With your PC you'll have to un-install your old drivers (reset the system to Microsoft defaults) and then install new drivers ( adjusting the default settings).

You also have to do this with your bios. You reset the bios to it's default settings, your not deleting anything, your preparing the system to reload a new driver. Resetting the bios is like un-installing the driver for your old hardware so your bios can properly load the new driver.

What? How can a computer detect whether or not you have thermal paste?

thermometers... it knows how hot it should be between the cpu and the fan. as soon as you use thermal paste once you can't use again. so it doesn't keep the cpu cool anymore. as soon as the computer turns on it knows its a little too warm in there. it will shut off and go into alarm mode...nifty!
sorry for the long reply im using a playstation browser to type this in..lol

i've already sent the cpu back for an exchange. hopefully the new one (which i get in about 5 days or so) will work :|

also, i did check my socket under magnifying glass for dust/hair/defects/ect. and there is nothing.

Hi jasonhtml,
Wondering how it turned out with your system.
I have experienced exactly same problem. Reseting CMOS did not help. My CPU temp read 47(C) in the BIOS but I don't think this is the case b/c yours reading 35 and still have the problem. And it is not software related either b/c when I put the old CPU back in the computer starts OK.
I now still have to use the old one (E4300) and it is slow.
My specs:
MB Abit AW9D-MAX, CPU Q6700, XFX 8800 GTX 768 MB, A-Data 1GB PC6400
Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom