Wrong RAM installed - computer will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelenityHyperion

Solid State Member
I looked my computer up on Crucial.com and the site told me the RAM is PC2-5300 DDR2...I trusted the site because there was no sticker on the RAM. Well...when I installed the RAM I received an error. I proceeded to go to Staples.com to check their EDGE Memory finder and was told I need DDR2 PC2-4200. I confirmed this on a few other sites.

So, now my computer will not boot up properly and I am receiving the BIOS Beep code of 3 short beeps...I have a custom Video card installed (cannot remember nor locate which specific one).

By the way, the computer is an eMachines T5224.

I attempted to reseat the original RAM but the computer will not start up. I wanted to upgrade from the 1GB to the 2GB but I am not even sure if I will be able to use it anymore because of this...any idea on how to fix this? All I get on my screen is a blank screen so I am not sure what to do. :(

The RAM would have downclocked itself, making it PC2-4200 and not PC2-5300. Try using only a single stick at a time, to see if it's just the ram. 3 beeps means an issue with the memory, or the video. This "custom video card" could be the problem. Try out the old RAM in the computer too, see if the new RAM is just DOA.

I suggest always checking with the Computer Manufacturer whenever doing any upgrades

eMachine T5224

Make sure you are not putting to mach RAM in as well, make sure you are not exceeding the amount of RAM the motherboard can support

Good Luck

Unfortunately I did not check the eMachines website because I was unable to connect to it at the time...I will try removing the video card and also reseating the RAM in single and double sticks. Hopefully it will work. If not, I guess I need a new motherboard, eh? Could installing the wrong RAM really cause this much of a problem?

By the way, it can be upgraded to 2GB so I know it's not that I have too much...so the DDR2 PC2-5300 IS able to be used in the computer, 95BlackGA?

EDIT: I actually just looked up something on Crucial and it said it can used either the 4200 or the 5300...so I am going to try reseating the optical drive since it was 'stuttering'...perhaps my motherboard is just dead. =/

I will not be able to get to the computer again until Saturday since that is when I go to my Condo so I will post an update then...thank you for your input, everyone! It is greatly appreciated!

Most of the time the Mobo will under clock the RAM to the proper speed, since this is an eMachine aka Factory Build the board might not do that (but im pretty sure it will)

if you have access to a cheapo PCI vid card try slapping that in there instead of the custom one, or try using the on-board Vid

pull out the PCI modem (known to go bad and cause a failure to boot machines) (kind of irrelevant since you have a 3 beep code but its worth a shot)

Reset the CMOS (unplug the comp, pop out the CMOS battery on the board, push and hold the power button for 15sec, replace the CMOS Battery) then start the computer, make sure the new RAM is in, if nothing Reset CMOS again then start with Old RAM in

if that doesnt work then its time for some hardcore troubleshooting

one by one pull cables, cards, and front panel hubs off the board, checking every time if it will boot (Dont Unplug the Power Switch and Remember to plug the power cord in every time you try to start it up)

You should be down to just the NEW RAM, VID, and CPU by the end of it

if nothing then try OLD RAM, VID, and CPU

if you get a good POST with either NEW or OLD RAM in then start plugging everything back in one at a time, same process as when you started pulling everything

if nothing still . . . . worse case scenario is that it is a bad CPU or Mobo

other then that i'm drawing a blank on what it could be .. lol

Good Luck

Okay so my system is no longer beeping...but I have the 'Windows has failed to start. A recent hardware or software...' error...and when I click either, the screen begins to go to the loading screen but stops before anything shows up besides a faint image of 'Microsoft Corp @' thing that appears below the loading bar of windows. My friend is ordering the CDs to recover Vista...or do you know of a way I can get it to work?

Thanks

hmm... can you get your hands on a linux live cd to see if it will boot off of that? it sounds like a hdd issue, since its crashing right when the microsoft logs fades in, a repair install should fix.

I have had issues when improperly overclocked, it will freeze here for a few secs and then BSOD on me, but seeing as how it is a prebuild, then it could possibly be just a ram timing issue. Do you currently have the system back to "factory configuration" eg: how it was when you pulled it out of the box with stock ram?

hmm... can you get your hands on a linux live cd to see if it will boot off of that? it sounds like a hdd issue, since its crashing right when the microsoft logs fades in, a repair install should fix.

I have had issues when improperly overclocked, it will freeze here for a few secs and then BSOD on me, but seeing as how it is a prebuild, then it could possibly be just a ram timing issue. Do you currently have the system back to "factory configuration" eg: how it was when you pulled it out of the box with stock ram?

This computer actually has quite a bit of information on it that my friend wants off of it...she gave the computer to me to give to my parents and losing the information would be devastating to her. We will be waiting for the CDs to come in...hopefully that will work because absolutely nothing else is. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom