Buy or build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewelspoint

Baseband Member
I have 3k dollars to spend on getting an awsome gaming pc, but I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the options when it comes to building it myself. There are so many options, and I've read up on how you need matching chipsets, etc etc. So here's my dillemna; should I just buy a prebuilt, manufactured PC (from dell or alienware or something)? Or, if I should build my own, where can I find a good, high end "suggested build" ?

I read through the stickies, but I noticed the suggested build sticky is about 2 years old. I'm looking to spend around 2k dollars (that includes a monitor, mouse and keyboard) but I can stretch to 2.5 or 3k if it will make a noticible performance difference, but I doubt I'll need to. The most important thing to me is speed, having a PC that can play huge games with no lag, and of course graphics ;) I have no experience overclocking, so I'd like to do no overclocking or only a little overclocking (in other words, play it safe)

So should I buy a prebuilt, or go for building my own? Do any of you have any suggestions on a build?

Thanks for all the help!

James build looks good and Hefe's combo deal makes it better.

If I was going to change anything I would get a 120GB SSD drive. I'm looking at one of these for myself and it's on Sale :D

Newegg.com - OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

And with your budget I would go ahead and get a nice heatsink setup to match the quality of the rest of the system. This is the best heatsink available at NewEgg.

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Thank you for the quick, thorough replies! I've done a quick look over the products and it looks like quite a wicked build, I think I'm going to stick to a single video card instead of SLI.

What about this proccessor instead?

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

I'm going to take a more in debth look at each product, then I'll start buying. I'll also be sure to invest in a good heatsink, and I'll read up on the pcityourself guides, so thank you a lot of the tips.

I would go with the i7 920 over the PII X4 965. The i7 920 overclocks really well, and you can easily have ~4GHz for a 24/7 clock. It will also out perform it.

With your budget anything less than an i7 setup would be crazy. Considering system requirements always seem to go up on new software, in 1-2 years from now you'll wish you had bought the i7.

If you're not going to SLI, what GPU are you going with? I would get either 1 285 for future upgrade potential or get a 295.

I've been reading up on overclocking the I7 920, and from someone with zero% overclocking experience, it started to make my mouth drool, both with how easy it is, and how much more powerful it can become. I also love how compatable (with overclocking) it is with the EVGA x58 motherboard.

As for doing SLI vs single, I've read mostly bad things about SLI, that it's mostly just an uneccessary upgrade, that it will increase the price and electrical drainn of your pc without adding much benifit, and that some lower-demanding PC games actually run better on single cards than dual. As well as the fact that a good high end card will run just as well.

So that is why I'm thinking of going for a single, and the 295 looks GREAT. Should I bother overclocking the 295, or is it worth it? Or does it even really need it?

One question I have about the SSD. Since it is "faster" than an HDD, should I put my operating system on it and use it as my main drive, and use the HDD to store files?

Thank you for all the help you guys have given me (including getting me interested into overclocking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom