i7 Random Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctechguy

Beta member
I have a I7 920 that restarts frequently. I have a Asus P6T SE motherboard, running vista business. I think I have narrowed it down to two things; overheating cpu or psu. I tried to go for a silent computer so I have a bigwater liquid cooling system, a Gigabyte HD4550 and a MGE Magnum power supply. Also have 12gb of OCZ gold ram, 8-8-8-24 although motherboard detects it differently. Manually set, didn't make a difference. The power supply is rated at 500w dual 12v rail rated at 15amp. The 3.3 rail has 25amps and the 5v rail has 30amps. The 12v rail cannot exceed 385watts and the 5v and 3.3v cant exceed 150w. I have have ran memtest86+ which return 0 errors. It works better in safe mode but still does crash sometimes, thought it might be a service so reinstall windows did not help. Ran prime95 for 7hours my temps got to 80degC but stayed on. Prime95 seem to be working and didn't want to keep stressing it so I exited prime95 and it immediately restarted. I turned off auto restart on errors, but when it restarts I don't get any errors, it just restarts. It happens more frequently when it is hot out. It happens when windows starts or in the middle of file copy or launching an application. It also restarted one time when my computer was on but I had turned off my monitor, I came back later turned on the monitor and it restarted as if the monitor power had taken power away from the computer. It is not overclocked. Don't really have a clear idea what temp it restarts at. Today it is hot out and I turned my computer on and started copying a file from my network and it crashed. I turned it back on and opened speedfan and it crashed. Turned it on again and opened HW monitor got idle temps of 44,44,47,41 I then opened prime and ran it. Two hours later I went to check on it and it a appeared to be ok. On my way out I accidentally shook the floor and it crashed. I wanted to get my crash temps so I started it up and crashed before login. Tried safe mode, crashed before login. Went into bios and got CPU Temp to be 55, when I exited bios it started up, HW monitor gave temps of 53,52,56,50.

Do you get a error message if CPU overheats?
I think it is the power supply but don't know what numbers should be higher when purchasing a new one. I also read that PSU output less in hotter tempertures. Also the reason I bought the MGE Magnum is because it claim to have no fan, which is wrong it has a very low small fan to blow at the radiator it has. It is completely silent psu. Can anyone suggest a very quite PSU that would work for me. I see thermaltake has some 16db ones and cooler master has a silent series.

Any help is appreciated.

The Bigwater is a Big piece of Crap. You'll be getter off using the stock cooler.

No, you won't see an error message if the cpu overheats, it will just shutdown.

Thanks Slaymate that was one of my big questions was would I get an error message. I know the Bigwater is low end but I think it did crash less with it than the stock which makes me think the cpu is overheating. I think I have to reapply the thermal paste.

Make sure the pump is working good. If it's slowing down or working intermittently then you'll have these types of problems. Touch it every so often and make sure it's not overheating. It may get warm but it shouldn't get hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom