Upgrading, need advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teln3t

Beta member
Hey guys, I'm going to be upgrading my computer hopefully soon, but I can't spend an enormous amount of money.

Fortunately, there's a huge deal going on with the Intel Core i7 920, and the benchmarks are VERY impressing.

Question:
If I purchased this quad core processor, would the techs be able to install it with my current motherboard?

Purchasing: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard I own: Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard

GPU: 8800GTX

*note* it says on the front of the box "supports 45nm cpu"(whatever that means)

thanks guys!

You're probably looking at around $250 and up for a decent board.

Not too great with the newer tech but someone will more than likely be around soon and will be of better help.

You can check these out for now.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Motherboards,Intel Motherboards,LGA 1366

cool man, thanks for the help. yeah, I really want to do this right! :p

I'm looking at this one as we speak...
Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

:happy:

ok, I'm really liking this EVGA motherboard...

would it be able to hold my 8800GTX? I don't need a new graphics card...so I would like to transfer it over to the new motherboard

Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

EDIT
I'm also running Windows 7 32 bit, will it still run?

ok, I'm really liking this EVGA motherboard...

would it be able to hold my 8800GTX? I don't need a new graphics card...so I would like to transfer it over to the new motherboard

EDIT
I'm also running Windows 7 32 bit, will it still run?

Should hold it just fine. I'm not up on windows 7 yet, but I hope it works cause I have 8800GT and I'm screwed if it does not. Also check these MB out Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Motherboards,Intel Motherboards,GIGABYTE,LGA 1366 but I think they all support DDR 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom