Screen Freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttzu

In Runtime
So I was playing Dawn of War 2 and my screen froze at random... All I have done is very light OC to the Video card and that is it... I also turned the RAM up in the BIOS to 1600 like it should be running at but I switched it back to auto for the setting... Does anyone have any idea why it would freeze up? My GPU temp has not gone above 60 C and my I7 920 stays right around 19 and when playing it goes up to about 30... where do I need to start looking?

Ok so I tried rolling the Video Card driver back to the one that came with the box but it didn't really help any... It still froze up...

Here is a list of my main stuff....

PCU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
MB: Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
VC: Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

I'm kinda mad that it isn't working correctly after spending over $2,000 on it

ok, this sounds like a similar problem to mine, have you checked your temps?

Yes my temps are fine... I have the more than enough case cooling and the gtx 285's fan speed is set at 65. When I am playing games my temps never get past 65 C. I did minor OC to the 285 through EVGA Precision (program that comes with it), 660/1490/1260.

Thanks slaymate I will try the new drivers as well as upping the CPU VTT +150mv. What exactly will that do? Also should I completely delete my old video drivers and install the new one or just update it?

Actually shouldn't I be getting this driver since I have Vista 64 bit? NVIDIA DRIVERS 190.62 WHQL

You want to use the newest driver.

Vista Win 7 64bit - NVIDIA DRIVERS 190.38 WHQL

Vista Win 7 32bit - NVIDIA DRIVERS 190.38 WHQL

Try setting your CPU VTT to +150mv you may need to bump it up to +200mv.

Ok so I installed the new drivers that I posted in my recent post. Also I checked in my bios and it had the CPU VTT set to auto... the auto had it set at +200mv. So if I check the +150mv will it increase the 200mv by 150mv or just change it to only +150mv? I haven't tested a game yet with the new driver but I will do that soon... what programs can I get to test that all my stuff is working right? Stuff for Ram, VC, etc....? Thanks for all the help, Slaymate you rock!

Thanks for all the help Slaymate... I'll print that out then post the screen shot of HW Monitor running... thanks again for all the help... I installed those recent drivers as well so hopefully that helps some... Ohh and by the way the megahalems is awesome and the Kaze 3000 is a beast lol.

Ok here is my Tech Page filled out...

Mother Board (EVGA E758-A1 3)
Drivers (Drivers that came with the board)
Bios (stock that came with the MB)
CPU (I7 920 DO) (with 920's please also add the stepping CO or DO)
CPU Cooler (Prolimatech Megahalems w/Kaze 3000)
Memory (OCZ Platinum 6gb)
PSU (Corsair 850HX)
GPU (EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB)
Drivers (Nvidia 190.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english)
Operating System (Vista Home Premium 64 bit)

Frequency Control
CPU Clock Ratio (20x)
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) (133)
MCH Strap (auto)
CPU Uncore Frequency (Mhz) (auto)
CPU Clock Skew (0ps)
Spread Spectrum (Disabled)
OC Recovery (Disabled)
PCIE Frequency (100mhz)

Memory Feature
Memory Speed (standard)
Memory Control Setting (enabled)
Memory Frequency (1600mhz/2:12)
Channel Interleave Setting (6 way)
Rank Interleave Setting (4 way)
Memory Low Gap (auto)
tCL Setting (auto - 11)
tRCD Setting (auto - 11)
tRP Setting (auto - 11)
tRAS Setting (auto - 24)
tRFC Setting (auto 88)
Command Rate (auto 1T)

Voltage Control
EVGA VDroop Control (with Vdroop)
CPU VCore (1.27500V)
CPU VTT Voltage (+250mv)
CPU PLL VCore (1.800V)
DIMM Voltage (1.700)
DIMM DQ Vref (+0mv)
QPI PLL VCore (1.100V)
IOH VCore (1.100V)
IOH/ICH I/O Voltage (1.500V)
ICH VCore (1.050V)
PWM Frequency (800 khz)

CPU Feature
Intel SpeedStep (Disabled)
Turbo Mode Function (Enabled)
CxE Function (Disabled)
Execute Disable Bit (Enabled)
Virtualization Technology (Disabled)
Intel HT Technology (Enabled)
Active Processor Cores (ALL)
QPI Control Settings (Enabled)
QPI Link Fast Mode (Enabled)
QPI Frequency Selection (Auto)

Thanks for any help guys! I'm moving out west here soon (Monday) and I would like to figure out why my computer during games would just freeze up...

Under Memory Feature change the following

tCL Setting ( 7 )
tRCD Setting ( 7 )
tRP Setting ( 7 )
tRAS Setting ( 24 )
tRFC Setting ( 54 )
Command Rate ( 1T )

Under Voltage Control change

EVGA VDroop Control ( Without VDroop )
DIMM Voltage ( 1.65 )

Your not overclocking the cpu so the only problem you should have is with your CPU VTT voltage. Other mobos call it QPI/DRAM voltage and it's dealing with the Memory Controller. The faster the ram the more volts it requires.

If you decide to overclock let me know as there are a few settings you'll need to change right from the start :D

Edit: And I forget, are you using a single card or SLI?

Thanks Slaymate I'll go make these changes... it just crashed again but this time I was running Ventrilo while playing Warhammer online... it sounded like the audio is messed up... I downloaded the most recent drivers for the on board sound from EVGA's site... I only have one GTX 285... I'll make the changes then go play some more and see what happens... thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom