Making a new Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibby5

Beta member
I am looking to build a new gaming computer for hopefully not too much. I've gathered a few ideas for some of the parts, but I would like to know all of your opinions on whether or not these would work together. I don't know very much about which newer graphics cards or processors to trust. I would also like to know if you guys know any cheaper alternatives that I wouldn't have to sacrifice too much performance. Or if you know a model that is nicer but not too much more expensive feel free to share. :)

Processor: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

HD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Graphics card: Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

I am a little shaky on if the MB will work:Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Desktop Memory G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

That's all I have for now. Any suggestions on other components (Power supply etc.) would be wonderful. Also If I have an old computer case would it be able to fit the newer stuff? I'm pretty sure I could find an old monitor somewhere, but if you have any suggestions that would be great!

Finally I would like this to be able to run games rather quickly. I am hoping to be able to play the up and coming Aion, as well as other MMOs.

As you can probably tell, I don't have a ton of experience building computers, but I have a friend who would be willing to help. I am just trying to get an outline of stuff that I would need and how much this is going to run me.

Thanks so much for any help!

None of your links work, but looking at the descriptions everything should work well together. Gigabyte makes great boards, so you will be fine with that one.

For a PSU, I like Corsair, Antec, and Coolermaster. OCZ, PC Power and Cooling, and Silverstone, all make good units too. For what you have spec'd anything over 600W will be sufficient. This is a really popular unit:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

You'll want a case, and that is entirely in your realm. Antec, Thermaltake, Coolermaster, Lian Li, Silverstone are all good manufacturers.

I'm sorry about that. All links should work now. And thanks for the ideas for the power supply.

I will have to look into a case when I get back home...

So do you think that this would perform as well?

And I take it you believe this to be a good deal?

The only problem I see with that combo is it comes with a 5400RPM drive. Everything else is pretty sweet.

Alright so I decided to try and buy my parts local (I know, more expensive but ah well) here's what the guy recommended to me in terms of parts. Let me know what you think. (I'll do my best to match it up with a newegg link)

MB: ASUS P5Q Intel P45 Chipset MB
I'm not sure if this is the exact MB but it should be pretty close: Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Processor: Intel Quad Core Q9550 2.8Ghz 12MB Cache Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

4GB of Ram Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model CT25664AA800 - Desktop Memory

OS: Vista (Not sure 64 or 32 bit yet) What would you all recommend if the machine's primary use is gaming?

Video Card: EVGA GTS 250 1GB Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1155-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Case: Coolmaster Storm Scout Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

So if you guys don't mind, could you let me know how that compares to my original plan and with the package? Also would I be okay with a 550W PSU? Or would I need a 650?

Oh and I have a 7200RPM hard drive at home.

Those parts look great. The 9550 is a really good processor. That mixed with a P45 chipset you can't go wrong. I don't like Asus board, but that's just me. They are still good boards for the most part.

If you want to utilize all 4GB of your memory then you will want 64-bit.

I think this is a bit better than your first build. The 4850 and the GTS 250 are very close in performance. You have a better processor in the 9550.

You should be okay with 550W. You'll also want an optical drive, unless you already have one of those too.

Lastly, with a 9550 and a P45 you have great potential for overclocking. If you want to go there you will want an aftermarket heatsink.

Thanks for the information. Well I went ahead and build this last night and finished up installing everything this morning. Everything's running great :D. Now we just have to see how it will do with games. Thanks for the input guys.

DxDiag for fun :):
------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/26/08 18:02:39 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
--------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTS 250
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 2799 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1007 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

Hopefully everything's installed correctly. Any advice on how to squeeze all the performance I can out of this would be nice! However, I think I'll avoid overclocking until its really necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom