Custom Built system will not boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chump

Baseband Member
This post is in my original message that i used to build my computer but i have decided to move it to the correct forum.

Every time i would turn my computer off and try to turn it on something would not turn on with it like the mouse, keyboard and monitor. (or wireless usb adapter) I had to turn it on and off multiple times to get everything up. Also sometimes i would not get the initial beep and windows would not start. So for some reason I decided to flick the switch on the PSU off and on and then it just didnt turn on at all. It lit the lights and spun the fans for a second and shut right off.

One weird thing is if we took of the processor the lights and fans would run but not stop running. I did not have my monitor plugged in so i did not know what was happening but it was not shutting right off with the processor out. So if it is not the motherboard, is it the processor or the PSU?

im hoping to spend 100$ around to fix this on either a new (and better PSU) or a new (maybe better CPU). i was hoping to get a new montior but theres no point with nothing working..I also wanted to get the windows 7 RC but i am running out of time for that..and 2 new games are in beta which i am also missing out on ....any help ? =(

i did forgot to use spacers for my mobo but i went thro the process of sending it in for RMA and asked what was wrong with it and got this message:

"Dear customer,

Our engineers did not find anything wrong with the board. Please double check you components and sure the processor, memory, and the power supply is tested.

Thank you "

So it was not the motherboard? Ive had no computer for the last 2 months i really need to find out what this problem is..

I had a similar problem with my build last summer. Acually exactly a year ago today I think. I put all of my parts together very carefully and methodically. Go to boot it up, the MOBO would turn on, fans would spin, then 3 seconds later, it would shut off. The lights on the mobo would turn on and stuff. I was wondering if it was a power supply problem, so I picked one up from Circuit City and tried it, same thing. I tried different RAM, same problem. I tried a different graphics card, same problem. I didn't have another CPU to try, so I assumed it was the motherboard. RMA'd the board back to Newegg for a replacement, which was a breeze, and received my new board and BOOM it powered on my first try. But you did say they checked the motherboard and it wasn't the problem, so if you've tried everything else, it might be the processor. I suggest you try to do what I did to single out the problem.

I really did too think it was the mobo because when i first built it was being slightly bent by the I/O sheild because there were no spacers and it was the same problem, after i took off the I/o guard it worked and worked for about 3 months and then started this problem again but gigabyte says there is nothing wrong with it so it has to be either the processor or power supply. i wish i had another processor to run with.

reason i think its the power supply: my devices were not booting properly and this started after i turned the power supply switch off and on.

Reason i think it is the CPU: when i take out the cpu i can turn the mobo on and it runs without shutting right off.

If you have a local electronics store, I'd pick up a power supply just to test it in case yours isn't working up to par. Make sure their return policy lets you return it after you're done testing thought. After that, the last option would be a dead chip, which you could possibly have. I'm no pro, but that's my $0.02

well as far as win 7 rc goes, the downloads stopped yesterday, you can only get a product key now.

what mobo and psu do you have?

case : COOLER MASTER Elite RC-334-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -

Power supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor

Memory: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory -

SAPPHIRE 100266HDMI Radeon HD 4830 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card -

i tryed to run it with the motherboard outside the case so i dont think the spacers will solve the problem. But i have just put everything back together tonight including spacers but i am not done wiring and will be finishing it tomorrow.

You may have damaged the mobo when you initially installed it by not using the spacers. When you get it all installed take some pictures of the mobo so we can see all of your connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom