I can't get out of DOS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

claytonwaverly

Solid State Member
Hi all,

Got a problem I was hoping one of you may be able to help with. I'm running Windows 98, and haven't had any major problems to date, but now when I turn the computer on it goes straight to the DOS command prompt. I haven't changed any settings to enable this, and I can't seem to get out of it - I've tried the standard "win" and "exit" commands, but to no avail. So how exactly do I get out of DOS, or change my settings so I go straight to Windows on start up?

Any advice or referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Clayton.

Edit your MS-DOS.SYS file, and add the line BootGUI=1. This will make it automatically start in Windows. If it doesn't work, get back with me.

Hey beedubaya,

Is that something I can access in DOS? I thought that was a Windows-only command. If not, how do I go about that?

Clayton.

Type "edit msdos.sys" at the C:\> prompt. Before you can edit the file, you may have to change its attributes by typing "attrib msdos.sys -h -s -a -r."

OK, I've edited the MS-DOS.SYS file to automatically load Windows. I re-booted, and now it's telling me it cannot find WIN.COM . Why would this be? Any ideas what could have changed these settings?

Clayton.

Not if your WIN.COM file is missing....that is the file required to start Windows. Without it, there is NO Windows. Try doing a search for the file by typing "DIR WIN.COM /s" at the C:\> prompt. If it turns no results, you have no choice but to re-install Windows.

Yep, seems to be the case. Well, my day suddenly got a lot more interesting. Thanks for all your help.

Clayton.

claytonwaverly do you see any files when you view the contents of the windows drive? if the windows files are gone, the question you should try to figure out is who did it. I hope you didn't lose any important data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom