First build...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_Desio

Beta member
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at building my own pc so im in need of a little help.
I'm relatively sure i have everything installed correctly, running an ASUS M4A78+ motherboard with 512 mb Radeon 4870HD, AMD Phenom II quadcore 3.0 ghz, 4gb ddr2 ram. Using the power supply that came with my Xion case, got everything connected up (used some converters to change 4 pin to 6 pin cords), connected the monitor and!...blank. No video whatsoever. Im using an hp 2009m monitor with both agp and dvi inputs. The video card only has 2 dvi outputs, and i only have 1 converter. Do i need to go out and buy another converter or is it something else i might be doing wrong? Help! :D

No you don't need to buy another converter.

What else is happening? Does the system sound like it's starting up? e.g. light coming on, fans and hdd's spin up, etc.

Is the monitor set to the correct input source?
Are you sure the connection between the pc and the monitor is nice and firm?
Do you have onboard graphics? If you do, try plugging the monitor into that.

monitor automatically scans both dvi and vga inputs, default is set to vga at the moment, connections are nice and tight, and no unfortunately my motherboard does not

-EDIT-

just figured out that the fan on the video card was not spinning on startup, might be important?

Make sure the card is seated correctly, make sure there's no dust or anything in the slot etc.

Also, did you connect the 6 pin power cord to the card?

Sure you've got the card connected to enough power? You need a cord directly from the PSU not the mobo like the manual says.

Edit: Soulphire ninja'd

What is the Power supply ratred at?

it could be an insignificant amount of Power and not giving enough power to the card to run

or

could be RAM, pull all RAM out and Try one stick at a time

or

Could be DOA Vid Card

Im banking on one of the first 2 though

I bet it's a RAM thing. Make sure your sticks are in the right slots. Check you're motherboard manual. Happened to me on my first build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom