Win XP setup errors I'm getting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lafguy81

In Runtime
My XP Pro sp 2 computer just messed up.

I was getting all these errors about files being corrupt. So I thought I'll put my setup disk in. It says do you want to boot from CD I hit enter. Then I get hit r to repair windows. Well instead of getting the blue windows screen to repair it goes to dos prompt and lists all these files. It says type exit and it reboots to the hit r to repair if I don't it just reboots.

Can not find Windows/system32\config\system I'll look up exact name again

After above I fiddled and got windows to format throughly and I still have the same problem.

Now I lost all my partitions now. I have int 4 hd's 250 gig installed.

I will try to use fdisk to re partition but, not sure it will help all the problems.

Any ideas how to repair it

you should be able to create partitions using just the xp cd. when it lists no partitions found, down bottom, it should display soemthing like press c to create partition.

you should be able to create partitions using just the xp cd. when it lists no partitions found, down bottom, it should display soemthing like press c to create partition.

Nope I haven't gotten past the points I posted above. I only got it to format once. You have setup disk in hit any key to boot from cd then the message I get is

missing or corrupt windows\system32\config\system

hit r to repair it then goes to dos prompt

c:

chkdsk
fixmbr
etc

I type any of these it does nothing. Only if I type exit will it reboot.

Note the time I did get to partition screen it would not allow me to do anything but, hit enter.

I just ordered that cd suggested spotmau.

did you try only "chkdsk" ??? it should be :"chkdsk c: /p" or "chkdsk c: /r" ?

if this didn't work then just reinstall windows xp .. the repair maybe is not enough ..

did you try only "chkdsk" ??? it should be :"chkdsk c: /p" or "chkdsk c: /r" ?

if this didn't work then just reinstall windows xp .. the repair maybe is not enough ..

I have tried to reinstall I get to the point where windows needs to restart in 15 seconds and boom get the same message like above. so its not installing correctly. Could it be a bad hd? I tried chkdsk with repair dos prompt nothing happened.

How are you formatting the drive when you go through the install process? With a quick format or a full format?

maybe you have a bad sectors ..
try "HDD regenerator v1.61" it is realy fast & realy good ..

or the HDD is bad ..
replace it ..

also there is a chance to be a bad power supply ..

I'll try the suggestions everyone made. I just replaced power supply 8 weeks ago. I will report back in a few days after I try everything.

Note I did full format but, I doubt it worked properly.

I hope the HD checker can work when my computer that asks for setup CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom