Upgrading old computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruise85

Beta member
Hello all! I have HP Pavilion a365c. I have had it for a while now but recently I noticed that it became slower and freezes on me from time to time. So I decided to upgrade my old "Pentium 4". I don't know much about these computers.... but I just got a new Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz Processor for it. But what else do I need to get to make it better? Do I need to change motherboard or not? I have 512mb ddr memory on it installed.... should I upgrade RAM to DDR2 with a few gigs? Also. I have 120 gigs processor on it right now, which is enough for me but is it enough for a new cpu?

I will post some more questions if i come up with anything...
Thanks in advance!

Like I said, i got Q9550 cpu. but my upgrade budget is limited to $250.... any advice would be appreciated))

Last edited by a moderator:
You would have to get a different motherboard, cause that CPU you bought is socket LGA 775 and you have socket 478 according to that diagram you gave us. I'm not even sure how a new motherboard is going to sit well in that case. If you wanted to speed things up a bit you needed to just get some more RAM, but since you bought a new CPU you need a new motherboard and other components to be compatible. Really what you need is a new case, power supply, heatsink and fan, etc. So I guess what I'm trying to say is practically a whole new computer. I don't think $250 is going to cover it. Your older hard drive and CD drive might work with a newer motherboard.

Eric, thanx for a response!

Things sound a lot more complicated than I thought they were))

So what RAM will max out the performance of my computer? To put it in other words, what RAM will be the most optimal my computer?

Also, assuming I have socket 478 on my computer, I probably do, can I upgrade my cpu so my computer will be able to work stimultaneously on various tasks? I bout my computer a while ago, so I am guessing that my cpu slows the computer down? Yes? No? Or what do you think of my current CPU?

Thanks!

I guess instead of me trying to things together that do not fit... It would be wiser if anyone would give me a professional advice as to how I can upgrade my computer and max out its performance within $250....

Thanks!

I'm not sure what kind of memory you already have in your computer. I need to know what components you have in your machine. You sound new to upgrading, I would advise consulting a PC repair shop if you have one in your area.

a good performance upgrade would be your ram and im not to sure ho much slots you have or if its duel channel or not but DDR ram only goes up to 1GB sticks so im thinking the most you can upgrade to is 2GB but that still will give you a lot better performance then 512MB. as for your CPU, you cant really upgrade just a CPU for $250. you can but its most likely not going to be worth it, especially when your talking about 478 sockets. usually when you get into upgrading CPU's you start to get into full upgrades not just single item upgrades. the best thing would be just to upgrade your ram. and maybe put in a 7200 rpm Hard drive if you dont already have one. that would probably be within your $250 price range.

Also putting in an AGP graphics card will lighten the load on the cpu a bit, making it process a little faster.

RAM is a good start but I would also suggest a fresh install of the OS if it is Years old without any OS help and also before the install it might be beneficial to replace the HDD, it kind of sounds like your HDD is starting to go on you, JUST FROM WHAT I READ, it might not even be the HDD

start at the RAM and try and sell the Q9550 on eBay or a computer friend, know what it is worth first (im sure you know since you paid new for one)

The G.SKILL is good ram that Kmote Linked you too

Also like it was said up above by Eric1 I would suggest taking it into a local computer shop and letting them take a look at it, they would be able to lead you in the right direction first research your local comp shops, I work in one myself and we have a very Legit Operation going on, we value our customers and we stay honest both in our parts and labor, AND YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR in most computer shops, if it sounds to good to be true then it IS!

But start at the RAM lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom