Think CPU is running underclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

javuerg86

Beta member
Hi, i have a Pentuim 4 procesor with 1.6GHz, got a e-geforce MX 400 Pci video card with 64 MB. Got 352 MB of RAM. I wanted to overclock my CPU so that i works faster, I changed the multiplier in the BIOS from 8X to 12X... the FSB is 100 mhz and can not be changed, so then 100*12 = 1200mhz.... so then why is my processor a 1.6Ghz processor if by default it was running at 800MHz.... is there a way to prove that the overclocking is functioning (to see the increment as with a softaware or something)

thanks

i think it's a problem with the bios on the computers that come pre-built... you cant oc it worth anything because all the options come locked... and this is not the frist time that ive seen a bios giving the wrong multiplier on a pre-built computer... but maybe its just my imagination... but yah u shudnt touch the multiplier if ur thinking of ocing.. because that increases ur speed by ENORMOUS amounds like going from a multiplier of 17 to a multiplier of 19 (with a fsb of 100Mhz) causes a 200Mhz increase in speed... you should increase by incrememnts of no more than 5 mhz... so you can see which speed ur cpu remains stable at :)

always try raising the FSB and lowering the mult :) my friend thought it was the otherway around, raise the Mult lower the fsb by a few points and he killed his chip

How does one go about rasing the FSB? My mb ASUS A7N8X only allows 100/133/166/200, and currently i have 200fsb, 11x for my 3200+. I have looked around, but how do i change the fsb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom