Socket 939 and PCI-E Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses08

Baseband Member
Hey all,

Does a motherboard with support for Socket 939 AMD-64s and PCI-E exist yet? If not, when should one come out?

I'm also looking to get one, I hope it's sooner than 2005... Don't some "not so popular" brands already make them?

AMD does not have one motherboard w/ PCI-E because the next generation in North Bridges have not yet been released.

and i dont think you should worry about pci-e yet.. there really are no video cards out there that take full advantage of the pci-e interface... they just arent advanced enuff ;)

Well at the end of October the nvidia nforce 4 chipset should be out on MSI and Gigabit motherboards and they will have 2 PCI Express slots that are able to use the new nvidia feature called SLI.

Which is where two video cards can be plugged into the mobo and combine to get greater performance. In therory of course.

So those are the mobos that I am waiting for and hope that they come out in late October.

they are on way, as VIA have developed chipset, nVidia as well be working on it, chips will be out in a month time (God Willing), but AIB Manufacturers will bring out their products by christmas (hopefully).

as every body's waiting for that winning combination to be out.

i'm opening this post once again, as i've mentioned earlier about VIA manufacturing chipset for AMD platforms with PCI-E.

now is the time, to inform further, as now I have came with information.

chip name: VIA K8T890

Processor Support 939 and 754 pins., but memory support is believed to be at DDR only (not DDR2's)

for block diagrams, and more information visit:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/k8-series/k8t890/

I would myself have gone through this lovely article, but as its 5:38 a.m in London, and i'm hell sleepy. so mean while u guys read it, and we'll discuss after I get up.

they won't be calling it 'Nforce4' chipset though. I specifically remember reading an article where they stated it won't be using that name, but they hadn't come up with one yet.

new nvidia feature called SLI.

Which is where two video cards can be plugged into the mobo and combine to get greater performance. In therory of course.

So those are the mobos that I am waiting for and hope that they come out in late October.

Yeah heard about this quite some time ago. There is no theory about it. Alienware was starting to design a mobo with the two card option and nvidia started the SLI technology around the same time. I've seen a video where the guy was demonstrating how the card works and he turned off one card so you could see how indeed one card draws ONLY the top half of the screen and the other card draws JUST the bottom. As the games demand more power, the SLI technology really kicks in and basically they say that combined with two 6800's especially it basically feeds on wanting the most GPU demanding game possible. If you look at the front end of some of the PCI-E 6800's you'll see the little gold chip thats like where you plug the card in anyway, except it's at the top and that's where the two cards are combined using a little chip that connects to both to have them communicate with each other. With two 6800 Ultras (which would require a massive PSU) or even two 6800 GT's, or hell you could even step back into previous generation cards and with that dual card setup you'd be flyin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom