Removing Thermal Paste from CPU pins and Socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I am working on a client's PC right now. It's a AMD Quad Core AM2+ Socket. I would seem that the person that put it together was a little crazy with the thermal paste. Some of the paste has got on some of the pins and the into the CPU socket.

The PC still bots. However i would like to know that i can do to clean off the extra thermal paste from the CPU pins and CPU socket on motherboard.

i got some on mine a while ago and just used a cotton swap with some rubbing alcohol, dunno if that was the best thing to do though... lol

I use the AS cleaner on my cpu and heatsink everytime I remove the heatsink. I use nail polish remover/Acetone with compressed air to clean the dielectric grease from my sockets whenever I finish using my phase change. I don't let it set long, it's never melted anything yet. But I'm not responsible for any damages other than my own :D

I just get some turpentine or metho and use a soft cloth and dab away at the socket. Seems to work fine for me, just don't go overboard with the amount you use.

Turpentine? Acetone?

C'mon guys...

Just use rubbing alcohol. It's safe for your parts, evaporates on its own, and it cleans well.

Turpentine evaporates on its own too. I mean I would use a pure alcohol solution, but I don't have any. So it's like meh, easier for me to go to the shed than the shops.

Turpentine? Acetone?

C'mon guys...

Just use rubbing alcohol. It's safe for your parts, evaporates on its own, and it cleans well.

Agreed. Just some regular Isopropyl rubbing alcohol will do (higher the concentration the better). I use that + coffee filters, as they're lint-free and cheap.

^ yep, alcohol and coffee filters work wonders. i even used it to revive an old motherboard that got damaged from a watercooling accident.

I've used Acetone for electronic parts since my USAF days. That's what we were given to use in Tech School and at the Shop once I got to my Duty Station. I don't like coffee so I've never tried coffee filters, if I need a rag I use the blue disposible shop towels. And I don't recommend using a rag on your pins, compressed air is the best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom