Hard Drive and enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember though ATA/PATA/IDE is the exact same thing.

Also keep in mind, when you remove the drive from the laptop, there is a enclosure thing where the laptop drive is, you need to unscrew it from that, then use the enclosure.

It really doesn't matter which enclosure you really use though, as long as its the right interface you need (IDE/PATA/ATA) and then to something that's usable to your comp (most computers have USB 2.0 so I recommended that)

It really doesn't matter which enclosure you really use though, as long as its the right interface you need (IDE/PATA/ATA) and then to something that's usable to your comp (most computers have USB 2.0 so I recommended that)

Not true. I have an IcyDock and an OKGear enclosure. Icydock I've had longer, and works perfectly fine (probably 1.5 years now); got the OKGear about 6 months after the IcyDock one...OKGear failed within 3 months or so, and likes to only work sometimes now. It's worth it to spend more on a quality enclosure vs cheaping out on one.

sorry for the long wait for response, i was on vacation for the past week or so.

First off, when I unscrewed the case on the hard drive it barely slipped into enclosure.

secondly, the receiving pins for the enclosure did not match up with the hard drive i posted above. The enclosure has 2 rows of "pin" like holes, i would say 2 columns of 22-26 per row. The actual hard drive has more of a "fin" similar to RAM. So I was wondering what enclosure would have the "fin" style of attachment.

I'm just a novice looking for some good advice, if anyone needs more details I'll be more than happy to give as much info as possible.

thanks,
Coleman

If its a laptop hard drive, the "fin" as you call it is removable. It's a factory t hing they put on so it hooks up to their laptop's interface. Just pull it off. I've seen it on almost all laptops (usually only IDE, a few times SATA), and its just there to hook into the factory's laptop HDD outlet.

I'll give that a try tomorrow morning, I'll let you guys know how it goes :happy: thanks for the advice.

So the device installs the driver automatically through the universal usb connection. But My computer is not picking up the device most of the time and the other times I can see it working and after about 5 minutes of device manager trying to pick it up, it fails.

I called Rosewill support and the technician said the only thing that I can do is make sure all windows updates are installed.

Now I'm running into an issue with installing a windows update on service pack 1. The error was 8024200D"

So any advice on how to install KB936330 I would greatly appreciate it.

Do you guys think that installing the windows updates will fix the device installer issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom