GPU fan speed 100% at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboxchaz

In Runtime
newbitmapimagegre.png

So that's basically it. The GPU fan runs at 100% even though the temperature is in the high 40s. Isn't that kind of odd? I thought normally GPUs run 100% if it reaches a certain point, say 60s or 70s.

My basic goal here is to see if I can reduce the fan speed so that I can sleep better lol.
My computer used to have a low speed even when playing.

I think my SYSFAN (according to CPUID HardwareMonitor) runs 100% too, because the GPU and SYSFAN both run at 10k+ RPM which is abnormal in my opinion if the computer is idle.

Is there a possible solution like replacing my fans and adding better ones (if possible)? Or maybe thermal paste or the like?

Thanks for the program suggestion. I lowered the fan speed to 50% and the temperature increased by about 2 degrees. However, I noticed that the numbers on Precision vs. GPU-Z are totally different. While it says 51 C on GPU-Z, it says 59-60 C on Precision.

Just checked mine, and Evga P read the same as the Top reading of gpu temp for gpu-z. If you look at the top img of yours, you are at 56C on gpu-z..

So, you probasbly are 59-60... Which is a little high for idle. I fold on my gtx 260's at 58-65C. However the 8800 should be warmer, being a 65nm card.

What was your fan set at? 100% manually? Try auto, and see what temps are. Being hard set at 50% miight cause issdues if your load gets too high, and can't ramp the fan up to cool it.

I'd put it on auto.. fire up a game and let gpu-z log the temps so you can see whats up... If temps and fan don't get too bad, your fine.

That being said, nvidia danger temps are 110ish C

Um, have you done a good cleaning of your fans?

I don't know. I think ever since I reformatted my computer, the fan always ran at 100% (auto). I did get used to the sound eventually but I figured a 100% fan was gonna kill itself one day.

As for cleaning, I dust out my computer's intestines once a month or so.

This video card has screwed me over plenty of times...I think it's time for me to get a new card (my previous card was a 7900GS and ran better than this one for some odd reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom