New PC Build, need help on finishing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys thanks, I'll look at the fans tonight and see what i want. Slaymate it is my 3rd build now, I know how the insides work and that; jsut i've never used or even seen water cooling but I learn fast. My first build (expensive too lol) was quite complicated and i did it first time with no problems when i was 15 :). I just don't want my PC getting too hot especially this time since I want to do a bit more overclocking than last time. Sometimes my PC can be in a hot room i.e. hotter than normal.

That thermalright HSF is not too heavy is it, i can move my PC around in a car and its not gonna break off is it?? Thinking of getting that and lapping it.

How about 2 of these for GFX:

01G-P3-1182-ER - 1GB EVGA GTX 285 SSC 55nm, 2646MHz GDDR3, GPU 702 MHz, Shader 1584 MHz, 240 Cores - Scan.co.uk

i'm a bit sceptical about the above as its overclocked. Should I get that or just 2 of these:

GX-285X-ZWDA - 1GB XFX GTX 285 XXX 55nm, 2500MHz GDDR3, GPU 670 MHz, Shader 1476 MHz, 240 Cores - Scan.co.uk

Oh and finally, should I get an SSD or not? If so what can you recommend off of SCAN's website? Don't want more than 60-80GB, too expensive for much more. Or how about WD veloiraptor HD ones?

Oh and was my chocie for power suplly ok or not? I do like my modular power supplies: CMPSU-850HXUK - 850W Corsair 850HX PSU, ATX, EPS12V, Modular, UK Version - Scan.co.uk

Go with the non OC'ed video card, you can OC them yourself. Go with an SSD, do not waste your $ on a raptor. And the 850HX is a good choice for a modular PSU.

meh, i would go for the haf 932. that way if you ever decide to go with water cooling you will have plenty of room to do so. but maybe im just biased because i have it :D

Ok thansk guys, I think I'll get that SSD then:

OCZSSD2-1VTX60G - 60GB OCZ Technology, Vertex SSD, MLC-Flash, 2.5", 1 x SATA 3Gb/s, Read 230MB/s, Write 135MB/s - Scan.co.uk

how about a couple of standard ones, whats good these days?

500 GB Western Digital WD5001ABYS RE2, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ - Scan.co.uk

any good?

Also my OC'ed gfx question stands. All that is in stock are those OC'ed gfx cards, should I get them if the standard ones don't come into stock?

Ok thanks guys....2 last questions:

That thermalright HSF is not too heavy is it, i can move my PC around in a car and its not gonna break off is it?? Thinking of getting that and lapping it.

Also my OC'ed gfx question still stands. All that is in stock are those OC'ed gfx cards, should I get them if the standard ones don't come into stock?

01G-P3-1182-ER - 1GB EVGA GTX 285 SSC 55nm, 2646MHz GDDR3, GPU 702 MHz, Shader 1584 MHz, 240 Cores - Scan.co.uk

Also slaymate, how experienced do I need to be for liquid cooling? I never have trouble building PC's and it is my personal 3rd one. I can be in a hot room sometimes and fans are very noisy. My question really is will the fans keep it cool enough? I think I'm set on this case:
Coolermaster HAF932 Black, High Air Flow Tower Case w/o PSU (New Version) - Scan.co.uk

Oh and how much better is this mobo:

EVGA 141-BL-E760-A1, Intel X58 Classified, Tri Sli S1366, PCI-E 2.0x16, DDR3 1600 OC, E-ATX - Scan.co.uk

than the other EVGA X58 Sli one that I'm getting:

132-BL-E758-A1 - EVGA X58 3X SLI, iX58, Sok 1366, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), Triple DDR3 1066/ 1333, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX - Scan.co.uk

The Classified looks so much nicer :p but is it worth the extra 100?

Any heatsink can cause damage during transport. If proper care is given you'll be fine. I'm using the Thermalright True Copper which is scary heavy and I've driven my PC from the house to my office at least a dozen times. And I live in the sticks about a mile down a washboard dirt road, then I have a few miles of an asphalt road riddled with potholes before I come close to anything smooth.

Snake64_009 said:
Also my OC'ed gfx question still stands. All that is in stock are those OC'ed gfx cards, should I get them if the standard ones don't come into stock?

I just noticed all your links are from the UK, I'm a little slow sometimes. HaHaHa :D
I haven't seen a Gainward card in years, they use to sell them here. You can't beat the price, especially if your going to watercool. I have (2) GTX 280's, one is a OC card and the other is stock. Once I added a couple aftermarket coolers to them they both overclock the same. This isn't always true for everyone, but I think it applies to most cases. If you can afford the higher priced OC cards you'll still be OK.

Gainward GTX285 1024MB GS Graphics Card - Aria Technology

Snake64_009 said:
Also slaymate, how experienced do I need to be for liquid cooling? I never have trouble building PC's and it is my personal 3rd one. I can be in a hot room sometimes and fans are very noisy. My question really is will the fans keep it cool enough? I think I'm set on this case:
Coolermaster HAF932 Black, High Air Flow Tower Case w/o PSU (New Version) - Scan.co.uk

If you think your up to the task of watercooling don't let me hold you back. Mainly I'm worried about advising someone on water-cooling and then feeling guilty when they run into problems or damage their equipment. Not everyone can buy new stuff every other week like I do :D

I'll look around the UK marketplace and see what kind of Good water-cooling equipment I can find. But be warned, a cheap Thermaltake kit or others like it, are a waste of money. A Good setup can be on the expensive side.

Snake64_009 said:

Well in my last fit of overclocking brutality I burnt out my EVGA X58 mobo, I did have it up to 4.949GHz thou. Well I just got a Classified mobo and it is nice. Is it worth the extra money? At this moment in time I can't really say it is. Give me a few weeks and I'll be able to give you a more experienced opinion. The standard X58 did get me up to 4.949GHz after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom