Need help with 9800GTX+ problems (driver?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jairic

Baseband Member
I recently bought a PNY Nvidia 9800 GTX+ GPU from Best Buy. When I first installed it, I was running XP SP3. I noticed that the card was climbing in temperature (was playing Cod 4) it hit 78c. I shut it down and let it cool, then restarted with no issues. At some point later when I would boot into windows I started getting some crashes. I decided to just install Windows 7 and run with that. So I load that and Windows 7 automatically gets a driver (190.38) and when it reboots I have no video (VGA via an adapter to a Hanns-G 21" LCD). If I boot to safe mode I have video no problem, but when I boot into Windows normally I get the "Starting Windows' screen and then nothing but a solid color like yellow or purple.

I'm using an XFX 680i LT mobo, PNY 9800GTX+, Ultra LPS 750 psu, 4GB Fatality 2GB Corsair RAM. I can give any other specs you'd like, just ask. I greatly appreciate any help that anyone can give, I'm hoping it's just the driver and not a failed card!

Thanks,
~Jake

I agree, and I've done that, via safe mode. I uninstalled the driver windows got for me and installed that one, (190.38). I guess maybe I'm looking at a hardware failure? I've also tried using the disk I got with the card that had an older version of the driver, just in case maybe there was an issue with the new one, no luck there either.

I'm thinking about re-installing either Windows XP or Windows 7, probably going to get started on that tomorrow.

What happens when you plug the monitor up to your integrated VGA plug? If you get a picture you may need to adjust your display properties for the second output and/or disable the first.
(Or get a second monitor for duals)

Just an update on Nvidia's elaborate torture :)

I installed Windows XP x64, got drivers, etc. I decided to start with the driver that was on the disk bundled with the card, and if that works try going to 190.38, so I can rollback if 190 messes things up. Well, bad news is that the card is not working. It works fine with no driver, as soon as a driver is in it fails. Again I appreciate any help at all that anyone can provide. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom