Swapping out hdd's in lenovo desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyTRON_8088

Solid State Member
Hi guys,

I have a Lenovo Desktop 3000 J series from 2007. It has vista home basic installed on 1 sata drive. It is very, very slow. I tried doing the usual to get some more performance out of it, such as clearing the desktop, removing the pre installed norton and installed f-secure, removed some start up programs, and disabled some services. And it is still very slow.

So I tried swapping out the vista hdd(sata) for an xp hdd(ide) I have from a dell but it wouldn't work. I get error messages like can't find os and check cable. Is it possible to do this with a lenovo? If it is possible, would someone be willing to walk me through it?

Thank You.

That pc should NOT be slow !!
however ..
Did you install IDE hdd instead of sata hdd or just you changed sata mode in the BIOS setting to IDE mode ?

Hey alaa_ecv_tc and thanks for your reply.

That's what I thought, I cannot understand what the problem is with it.

Yes I removed the vista hdd(sata) and connected the xp hdd(IDE) to the lenovo using the same IDE ribbon cable from the dell.

:)

Ok .. hmmm ..
So there is one HDD & it is IDE ..
Now Enter the bios & see if the IDE cables are disabled .. usualy the is somthing called IDE configuration .. maybe set to compatible on sata only ... You can set it to enhanced ..
Or maybe the PATA controller is just disabled !
also in the boot order there may be no hdd in it .. add the hdd to it & put the "boot from other devices = yes"
- If you have a FDD make sure there is no floppy disk in it ..

---------------
if nothing works ..
try to boot from a cd :
windows xp setup : do the setup see the HDD ?
Hiren Boot 8 : Partition magic 8 can see the HDD ?
Hiren Boot 9.8 or later : Mini windows XP See the HDD ?

Okay so i entered bios and thought i would give you some more info before i changed anything.

In BIOS under start up:

Start up sequence [Primary]

1: Diskette Drive A:
2: USB FDC:
3: USB KEY:
4: IDE HDD:
5: IDE CD: TssT comp CDW/DVD TS-H492C
6: PCI BEV:MBA v9.0.12 Slot 0304
7:
8:

Excluded from boot order:
: USB HDD:
: USB DCROM:
: PCI SCSI:

now under devices i have:

Devices

IDE Drives Setup

Parallel ATA:[Both] with options to disabled primary secondary and both

Serial ATA:[Enabled] with options to disabled enabled.

Also I have no floppy drive installed(it didn't come with one) and I have the IDE drive connected on the middle connector on the IDE ribbon cable, and the p7 power connector if that matters.

4: IDE HDD:
as you see in 5. .. there is a cd rom .. but in 4 there is no hard !

So it may be a jumber issue ... what is the type hdd you have ?
If it is WD : remove the jumber or set it to master !
if else it should be wirtten on the cover of the hdd how to set the hdd to master ..

try it & tell me what you get ..

in "4.IDE HDD" should be the hard model

sorry for my bad spelling .. :)

Okay so while I was waiting for your reply I tried changing where the hdd is connected on the ide ribbon cable from the middle to the end. After I booted up it got passed the post and looked like it was booting in xp. When I selected xp to start I got this error message, I think it's the BSOD:

A problem has been detected and windows was shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again , follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives, or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make aure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information

***STOP.0x0000007BC, 0xF79B7528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

Then once I restarted I got these error messages:

PXE-E61: Media Test
PXE-MOF: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
1962: No operating system found, Press F1 to repeat boot sequence

Okay so I checked the hard drive which is a western digital WD600 and the jumper was already set on master. I took it off anyway and put it back on master. I rebooted and got the same Broadcom error messages again.

Lol no worries and thank you for continuing to help me!!!

:) thank you :)

for the blue screen you got : did you install xp on another computer ?.. if yes usually XP do not work on a new computer directly .. that's for people who tries to make images for xp to install directly on differant computer << has been solved but this is not where should we say how .

the broadcom error message is telling that the computer did not find a boot on the HDD or even it did not see a hard disk it self .. !! .. that's lead to another thing ! check the power connector to the HDD ! maybe it got disconected while booting so that why you got the blue screen .. !

for the jumber : remove it & keep the HDD connected to the end of the HDD cable .. < that's the standard way to work ..

make sure the hard disk is visible in the bios ..

Okay so I took the jumper off, checked the power connector and booted up and got the same broadcom error messages. Then I went into the bios and looked under system summary and it's still not registering.

IDE Drive 0 CD/DVD-ROM
IDE Drive 1 Not Installed
IDE Drive 2 Not Installed
all the way to IDE 5

Also I have an option of entering a configuration menu if I hit ctrl-s, should i try that? I'm going to try the other power connectors and see if that helps.

hmmmm ..
-So our problem is that the mainboard can't see the HDD ..
if the other power connector did not work :
try to connect the hdd with the cd/dvd-rom connectors ..
& make sure that the hdd is running .

for the configuration menu : configuration menu of what ? should be written it is for what ! .. any way .. enter it & see what is in it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom