Computer gives several long beeps on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
to reset the CMOS you pop out the "watch Battery" and wait 15 seconds for it to reset then you replace it then turn it on

at least thats how i was taught, there might be a better way

I already tried that. I have only two sticks, so it didn't take me any time. It gave me the beeps even with either of the sticks removed.

To reset cmos usually wait 5 minutes or press the power button a few times to drain the power with the computer unplugged.

first try CMOS Reset

then

I would now start pulling cards and cables one by one out off your rig and see if you can get anything, start with the modem PCI card if you have one, the any other PCI cards then to the front panel stuff then to cd/dvd driver cable then Hard drive cables, all the way down to just the mobo ram and CPU

let us know

I tried the RAM and HDD, but the beeps persist. There is not much else I can take out.

BTW, Hefemeister mentioned power surges. Can you elaborate on that? Because I have a doubt about my spike protector's reliability

surge protectors have a short life span when it comes to actually protecting against surges (1 to 2yrs tops) while you were gaming there could have been a slight surge that your strip did not detect and protect against

from the sounds of it, it seems to have fried your RAM, if you have any of the same kind laying around i would suggest trying it out

LOL, it fried my hard disk last month. I got a new one yesterday from seagate, and now this. I don't have any RAM to test with unfortunately.

well i dont knpw what else to tell you except for you need to go out and get a new surge protector, preferably one with a warranty

i have suspicions about your power supply also, it might be shorting out because of the surges

but with that beep code it seems like your ram and you might want to look into a newer Power Supply, OCZ has some good ones

good luck

you are going to have to call up the manufacturer and find out what qualifies, so its a MAYBE, they might call this incident a neglect on your part but then again they might just send you out a couple of new sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom