Cooling Upgrade Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would 420 disks be fine? I got a kit with like 40 included accessories and it came with 20 discs of type 420. I checked the included manual and it looks like 420 discs on the speed setting of 10 with my tool is used for cutting steel, aluminum, etc.

I've never used the 420 disks. I usually use the 409 or 426 cut-off disks. And I usually cut at a setting of 3, and I cut slowly. You should find a scrap piece of metal and do a few practice cuts to develop your own technique before jumping on the real deal :D

I've never used the 420 disks. I usually use the 409 or 426 cut-off disks. And I usually cut at a setting of 3, and I cut slowly. You should find a scrap piece of metal and do a few practice cuts to develop your own technique before jumping on the real deal :D

yep the cutoff wheel #426 works great. used it to cut a few holes in my 1200.

i find a jigsaw easier to use and it gives you a much cleaner cut than a dremel. but the only disadvantages of a jigsaw is that it can scratch up your paint if you dont tape up the surface.

Awesome! Well my fans get here tomorrow and the modders mesh gets here monday so I'll have a worklog or something up next monday night!

What size drill bit should I use for the fan screw holes? Oh and do you or Mnpctech happen to have some pics or a guide on cutting the holes? You said to tape up a few layers, do you mean like do 6 lines of tape side by side over the whole area, do that 2 or 3 times, then lay the template out and tape it down? And then do the screw holes first, and cut the center hole with the dremel last? Last question, do you think I could use the dremel's other tools for grinding away the left over imperfections to make it fully round?

as far as the fan screw holes go you want something about the same size as one. dont know off the top of my head but 1/4" should be about right.

and as far as taping it up goes i say just one layer of scotch blue painters tape over it should be fine. tape it up first then put down the template.

and of course use the dremel sanding tools to get the hole nice and smooth

also it's probably best to cut the hole for the fan then drill the fan holes.

I think the fan screw holes need done first. If I cut the fan hole, then the steel will be weaker around the circle so it would be harder to do the screw holes. At least that is what I was thinking. Not speaking on experience or anything here :p

Here is an update. I installed one Ultra Kaze as a rear exhaust and connected it to the fan controller so I can quiet it down when not gaming. I then removed the Sunbeam CCF and cleaned the processor off then installed the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (easiest installation ever, by the way!). I then messed with the wiring a bit to tidy things up a tad more. I should now have room to install a side intake in the relative area above the new HS to provide it with a direct supply of cool air and then of course an exhaust at the top.

0031.JPG

And here are the new temps after all that work (with side panel still on):

Untitled-1.jpg

So since I never touched the voltage I have to assume it is either the lack of cool air supply for cooling the CPU or I just got a crappy hot running CPU :(

Mods to come on Monday with the addition of the 2 new fans! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom