Ram and mobo compatability question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotnpankake

Baseband Member
Ok so i've been wondering about motherboard memory standards. my question is how i should buy ram or if it doesn't matter. so *on new egg (not sure about other sites)* its listed on the mobo specs like this

Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 800
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Channel Supported Dual Channel
*just a random mobo i picked for the example*

so it says Memory standard ddr2 800
does this mean i can only buy ddr2 stick that are above 800 or below 800 or does it not matter
just a simple answer is all i need

You should be able to use DDR2 800 and above. But if you buy DDR2 1066 memory it may only run at DDR2 800 speeds.

We could give you a better answer if you listed your system specifications, or at least the make and model of your mobo.

That's why I said 800...what's the point of buying 1066 if you can't use it, unless he plans to have the kit for a next build after the first one, in which case why not buy a compatible mobo to begin with..

Ok so i've been wondering about motherboard memory standards. my question is how i should buy ram or if it doesn't matter. so *on new egg (not sure about other sites)* its listed on the mobo specs like this

Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 800
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Channel Supported Dual Channel
*just a random mobo i picked for the example*

so it says Memory standard ddr2 800
does this mean i can only buy ddr2 stick that are above 800 or below 800 or does it not matter
just a simple answer is all i need

You can use ANY DDR2 module you can find. If the speeds are higher than the maximum supported by the motherboard, it will be downclocked. If the speeds are lower than what the motherboard supports, the speeds will stay the same as advertised, unless overclocked. Simple answer, for a simple question.

If you're thinking about overclocking, buy the highest speed ram your budget will allow.

Everyone thinks they need to have specs just to answer a question. ^^^ :p

If you're thinking about overclocking, buy the highest speed ram your budget will allow.

Everyone thinks they need to have specs just to answer a question. ^^^ :p

No, we just need the spec's to give a good answer.

Not all mobo's can overclock for one. And there's no good reason to buy the highest speed memory his budget can afford if his mobo won't support that speed. Unless throwing money away is a good thing.

True, but his mobo may support speeds above DDR2 800, we need his spec's :D

He doesn't have any specs. He gave an example motherboard's specs and asked the question if its standard of 800 is the minimum or maximum that said board can handle, or any board that states its standard. That's why I answered the way I did :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom