CPU connector...

Status
Not open for further replies.

X2Xtreme360

In Runtime
OK so I have all the parts for my new build coming tomorrow. The motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P. The only part of my old rig I am keeping with this system is my 600W power supply. It was used on an Intel P4 system. The only issue I'm running into is that I've just discovered that the CPU power slot takes an 8 pin connector and I only have the traditional 4 pin connector on the PS.

Now I have read from several sources that you can just plug the 4-pin connector into the 8-pin slot on the mobo with no issues BUT I am not about to do that with clarification. I don't want to damage my mobo. Is this true and why? I would just buy an adapter but my parts are coming tomorrow and I don't want to wait if I don't have to.

Do you have a Dual core or Quad core with your current build.

If Dual core: you're safe to use the single connector I believe. If quad core, you'd want 2 separate 4-pin to go to the 8-pin (adapter would probably work in this case).

My CPU is AMD Phenom II dual core (although I have heard you can unlock all 4 cores) I think I am not gonna mess with that right now though. I will just get the machine up and stably running. I have read somewhere that if the TDP is less than 150W than you can run the 4 pin and the Phenom II is only 80W. As of right now I think I will use the 4-pin unless anyone has anything to say about that because from the research I've done thus far, it's been said that it wont hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom