Upgrading memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares82

Baseband Member
I am thinking of upgrading my memory. I currently have 2 GB. I found a memory that is compatible with my motherboard, but now I have a question. I'm thinking of buying 2 GB more, but I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit OS, and I read that the 32 bit only supports up to 3.5 GB so I'm wondering if I should bother buying the 2 GB or should I settle for just a 1 GB upgrade.

Also the memory is from Crucial Memory, 2 GB - 240 DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300. Is that a good memory stick or do you suggest another.

What do you do with your computer? Do you game? Edit video and photos? Do you notice you computer being slow?

Also, link us to the memory you like so we can take a closer look at the specs. Corsair memory is generally pretty good, but it never hurts to look at specifics.

Lastly, you will only see around 3.5 GB of the memory with a 32bit OS, but that's still more than 2 GB.

Post the rest of your system specs also. Do you have one 2GB stick in now? If you're not sure run CPU-Z and look at the memory and SPD tabs. You just want to make sure you will get RAM that's compatible with what you already have.

Okay...that information is helpful. Your board supports dual channel memory and you already have a dual channel kit. So upgrading to the 2 GB stick you were thinking will not run in dual channel. It is also different speed (slower, 667 MHz vs. 800 MHz) than what you already have. For memory to run in dual channel it is recommended that you stay with the same brand and speeds (preferably the same model and everything). With that in mind I would either:
1. Buy another kit of what you already have
2. Purchase a new 4 GB kit. Any of the following would be good.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - OCZ Blade Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model OCZ2B800C44GK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AL80A - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS24G6400LLKN - Desktop Memory

OK so if I follow Number 2 suggestion, I sounds like should just take out the memory I have in there now and replace it with the new one I buy?

I'll probably just follow that advice, specially considering I just got a 10% off offer from newegg for being a regular shopper there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom