Cooling Upgrade Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
With the latest update to HWMonitor, my CPU temps are finally reading correctly. They used to be about 20C which was wrong and I knew it. Now it reads about 40C idle which is about the same as what the Bios says so I'm fairly certain that is more accurate.

Now, my CPU is an Athlon X2 5400+ Black Edition overclocked to 3.2GHz from 2.8GHz. All I did was up the multiplier. I didn't change the FSB or any voltages. I am using a Sunbeam Core Contact Cooler with the included fan that is supposed to move about 90CFM of air.

I even re-applied the thermal compound (TX-2) to see if that was my issue with temps. That lowered idle temps by about 2-3C but overall I'm still at 38-40C idle. As for the rest of my fans, I have 2 120mm 75CFM fans (one intake front and one exhaust rear). I noticed when checking my case that the air being pushed by the CPU cooling fan goes out the 2 sides of the Sunbeam CC and hardly any of it passes all the way through to the other side. I also have a massive HD 4890 putting a lot of heat into the system. So in total I have one intake fan at 75CFM, one CPU fan at 90CFM and one exhaust at 75CFM. Is my case pressure not right? Is the air flowing out the sides and not making it all the way through the Sunbeam CC a problem?

I am considering 2 things at this point. I want to purchase 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze 133CFM fans and use one as the Exhaust to see if that lowers temps, and one as the CPU cooling fan to see if that helps. The other thing I have considered is replacing the Sunbeam CC with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 which is shorter and would allow me to install a 120mm side intake fan.

Any ideas or help on temps? Is my case air flow not balanced? My GPU stays at 50C idle, the HDD's are at 30C constant. It's just the rest of the system temps that are 40-60C and the CPU ranges from 40C idle to 60C max load (which occasionally when it gets to 60C it crashes).

To test whether it's your airflow that's the problem (e.g. just blowing hot air onto the HS), wait until night (when it's nice and cold) take off the side of your case and move your GFX card as far away from your cpu as you can. See what kind of temps you get.

When I turn it on at night, it starts out idling at around 33C/38C (for core0/core1), but as soon as it runs for about 5 minutes it is back up to 40C/44C. And just doing simple things like installing or downloading programs it jumps up to 48C/52C.

This leads me to believe that it has to be my airflow and that I'm not pushing enough air out of the system. Another odd thing I noticed is that when I feel the air coming out the rear exhaust, it all comes out the sides of the fan holes and not really the center... is that normal? I'm going to try swapping my Exhaust and CPU fan with these Ultra Kaze fans and then maybe moving my CPU cooling fan to the front intake. That way I have about 90CFM intake, 133CFM exhaust, 133CFM with fan controller for the HS.

ya it's better to have a higher CFM exhaust fan than intake fan, in most cases.

yes air does not generally flow around the center of the fan because of the fan motor in the canter.

Would it help at all to use my current fans and place them in empty drive bay slots to push more air across the motherboard or out the expansion slots? If not then I'll just sell my current fans, I just have a cramped case with lots of hot hardware :p

looking at your case on newegg, it's probibly best to have a high CFM fan on the back and a equally as high CFM fan on the front for intake. throwing fans in the HDD bays would help to cool the 4890, but "might" not do too much for the CPU.

and if you were bored you could cut a hole on the top for a fan also. or you could put one on the bottom.

Now I just need to find a drill attachment for cutting them holes. I got a good drill that I think would be powerful enough for the job. Where are you Mnpctech! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom