RAM Issue: Only 4 out of 6 Gb showing up for work

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjewk

Solid State Member
Hi again my good fellows, I've got a memory issue needin' solvin'.

Running:

RAM - 3x 2 Gb Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 (9-9-9-24)
MoBo - Asus P6T DELUXE X58
CPU - Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz
GFX - Asus GTX285
PSU - Corsair 650W TX Series

...on 64bit Windows 7. Only 4Gb of memory is showing in both Windows and the Bios, and if I move them around to different slots in most cases the system fails to power up; black screen with no beep post. This also goes for the setup indicated by the motherboard manual for 3x 2Gb units. The manual also lists my memory as compatible with the P6T Deluxe X58.

I've run 24 hour Memtests on all the units with no errors, so I'm all out of ideas at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as always.

- Stian

Have you determined which ram slot does not recognize the ram. Based upon what you have done I would lean towards a bad ram slot and the need for a rma.

I'm pretty sure I've tried every combination of slots there is, and if I can remember correctly this is the only setup which works (yet only posts 4Gb):

The P6T Deluxe manual recommends this stick setup:

|.|.|.

with "|" being a memory stick and "." being an empty RAM slot.

Therefore, to me it seems that if no other combination works then four of the slots aren't working, which seems over the top. I also RMA'ed the MoBo due to an unrelated PSU problem, they tested the whole shebang and said it was a-ok.

did you try the other triple channel option?

.|.|.|

You need to have them in this setup or the one recommend by asus to use triple channel. If this setup does not work and you have tested each individual stick installed with only one at a time then you would need to rma the board.

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's caused by my PoS 650W power supply. Guess it doesn't cut it?

I would lean more toward bad memory, or memory slots and not so much the PSU. Have you tried the memory in another PC?

Haven't got any other computers that support DDR3 :C

I am fairly certain I've tried all the indivudual sticks in every combination possible, you sure BIOS settings couldn't fix this if it isn't the PSU?

Have you tried the sticks one at a time and tested each individual ram stick with memtest?

I as well cannot see a bad psu causing this problem. It has to be the ram or the board.

Yea...try each stick in each slot, running memtest each time. That's the only sure-fire way to test memory unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom