Build me a computer.. $2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
See I changed it! I say $50 now if $100 is what "professionals" charge. Yea I am positive that my parents wouldn't let me do it. I service all the pc's at my mother's work for pay when they need it (that pc is only worth a hundred or so anyways).

I am still surprised someone is dropping 2500 and doesn't even know what hes shooting for. Some god trust hes putting in you guys. Dont get me wronge, you are all good people, and very well educated in more than one area. But jesus, I'd probably kill for a computer like that! (watch out archanix...).

As far as building it. Best Buy would probably charge you a lot, considering you'd never buy those parts from them, and I think you may be better at CompUSA, they charge less for builds usually, and most of the time you can get a nice warrenty if you dont open the boxs before they do.

I work at CompUSA as Comp Tech, and build em all day. I'd sya 1/15 computers have at least one part not from CompUSA. That part can't be OEM or it doesn't get any kind of warrenty.

Before you buy this stuff, check out with he local stores, definatly safer than sending it to someone else, and having them do it for even half the price. Even if they do everything perfectly, they can't gaurentee a $2500 50lbs built kickass computer wont get messed with in shipping...

Just my 2 cents. Spend your money well, I wish I had it.

or, he could send me the money and never see it again muhuhuhahahaha,

ok, well try and look for a small local PC repair shop. Usually they build for u and they charge really really cheap. I got my dads PC built when i was 16 for like 65 bucks.

i think you should just go to a local computer shop. It would probably be the same price and alot less of a risk than sending it across the country.

It's only a 30 min job tops.. as long as the case is decent.... because sometimes things don't fit... etc.... or unless you're custom building fans and cooling units and crap so you have to actually modifty the case physically... but no body does that. So I would not pay anyone over $70 for a build.

In my opinion, I'm with wongb18c. I think you should try building it yourself, maybe with someone who builds 'em right next to you to check. I was a nervous wreck putting mine together, I kept accidently touching the chips with my fingertips, and hated myself for doing so. The only problem I ever faced was from software, not hardware.
You should consider this. It'll be good experience and you'll learn stuff; I know I did. http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm iis a good site. It's a guide to build one. It has been reccommended a lot by people here. I guess the main precaution is how you handle it. Don't touch the chips with your hands; hold them by the sides. Wear an anti-static wrist band, or you'll wind up wreaking something.

He's contacted me and I said I'd set him up. My dad and I know the going shipping rates of objects because we run a home decor website. Computers are shipped everyday just fine, just gotta make sure the packaging is thick basically, but yeah roughness is never good for a computer. I got him set up with a good system but not everything top of the line and the total came to $1680 without shipping. So we'll just see what goes on from here. Got him set up a

MSI Neo2-Platinum Mobo
AMD 64 3500+ CPU
Lian Vi Case
Ultra 500w PSU
1gb kit Corsair XMS Memory for DC
Sapphire 9600XT 256mb card ( he says he's not a big gamer so he wanted a small budget on that $150 for the graphics card )
And a couple SATA 10,000 RPM HD's which will be great considering his apple powerbook's HD's were only 5400 rpm.

I have been planning to build my own PC some time soon, and I know you can get things cheaper

eVGA 6800 GT 256MB $379

Lian Li PCV2000 black or silver $239-$240
lazerman is right on this one, it is an excellent quality case
and the smaller version in black or silver $202-$203

1GB Corsair PC3200XL $275
it runs at 400MHZ, but it is faster than the same brand 500MHZ RAM. Corsair have made it very well.

AMD Athlon Opteron 846 $769
this CPU is very well designed. if you're not multitasking it compares to the FX-53, but if you are it will destroy any CPU compared except the Opteron 848 and 850, but they're way too expensive

Asus SK8V $164
Asus is a much better quality motherboard, much better than MSI

Pioneer 108 DVD burner $74
Pioneer are the best quality for DVD burners, this one will burn the dual layered discs, and it is the fastest speed for a DVD burner

Western Digital 74GB Raptor $170

total=$2074 with the bigger case or $2037 with the smaller case

I don't think it would be best I build it, I don't lack the ability, but the shipping cost would be quite high as I live in Australia

yeah but he doesn't need that powerful graphics card, so why bother purchasing it? Your total is like $375 more expensive than what I got lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom