Help with choice for new non-gamer system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katbird

Solid State Member
My existing computer is old: Abit AN7 motherboard, 1.47 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP CPU, (2) 90GB IBM Deskstar hard drives, 768MB memory, RADEON 9200 PRO, and XP Professional OS.

I was thinking about pairing an AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto Black Edition 3.1GHz with an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 785G as the basis for my new system. I am not a gamer, so I don't need a high dollar system. In fact, this is more than I need for right now. Even though they are AM3 socket and need DDR3 memory, I probably won't upgrade again for some time and I want to extend the time before my next upgrade.

Any thoughts?

The PII X2 upgrade sounds like a good option for you. You'll possibly need to upgrade your power supply too, if the motherboard you get requires an 8-pin CPU connector and it doesn't have one.

Make sure to get a motherboard with integrated graphics.

The ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 785G motherboard has integrated ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4200 GPU graphics. The PSU went out in my old system 2 weeks ago and I replaced it with a 450 watt ISO 500D. Could I use that, or should I upgrade the PSU, as well?

I just noticed that the power supply I have has only a 4 pin connector.

I've heard good things about the AMD Callisto 550 CPU, but is the motherboard I'm contemplating any good? Keep in mind that I know just enough about computers to be dangerous.

Luckily the motherboard of your choice only needs a 4-pin CPU connector.

And so yes, that power supply will do you fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom