Do you still want a video on how to apply/remove thermal compound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
About a year ago there was a thread requesting videos of us working on computers. IIRC this didn't really take off.

Fast forward to today: I bought some thermal paste (Akasa 5022) which has a graph on the back saying it is better than AS5 and some TIM cleaner.

I will be doing it after lunch and wondered if the video was still wanted.

Trif.

Re: Do you still want a video on how to apply thermal compound?

I dont personally need to know how............... yet, but id like to watch anyway, as im sure others would too? plus theres bound to be people who would actually like to watch because there doing it themselfs soon..........

EDIT what spec is your pc chief?

I'll do the video then.

AMD 3000 - water cooled.
ASUS A8N-SLI
Geil 1.5Gibs of RAM in dual channel
BFG 7800GT
couple of hdd
Hiper 580w Type R - beautiful PSU.
Tt. Kandalf

Finished applying it. Man really needs 4 arms. But apart from some rubbish camera angles, poorly placed water block and hoovering up my duster, dripping some water and camera running out of power just after I screwed the water block on, it all went OK.

CPU at 27*C on a warm spring day (19*C)!

I will edit the video once the camera has charged.

Pretty good.

You should have talked a little louder though.

get this stickied for the amateurs who ask sometimes!! Put it on youtube too!!

Sorry, think this was hosted on my old server. It is long gone now and don't have a backup.

There are several different methods now for applying thermal compound depending on the CPU that it is not really worth remaking. For example on a Q6600 a thin strip down the middle half (centred) through the 2 banks of cores would be the best method. The thickness of the line is then dependant on the type of cooler. if you have exposed heatpipes you need to have a good amount on there to fill the gaps. If it is a lapped true you want quite a thin line.

Is the rice grain size dab in the middle really enough? I've heard some people say that's what they do, it seems like it's hardly any though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom