Which way should I hook up a 4870??? Which Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
Allright, I've been off for a while but I'm about to put together a new build.

I want something in the 700 USD range, so the 2 CPUs I've been looking at are the Q9550 and X4 955.
I'm going towards a 4870 because it's a good bang-for-the-buck card, I haven't been able to find any other card that good for that much money.

So far I think the X4 955 wins, it's $199 on newegg and beats the Q9550 on most tests (barely) and does good with graphics.

But I don't know if the 4870 will bottleneck the 955, maybe this quad core is too good for the 4870. So the point is that I want to get the right combo so that both the CPU and GPU will work together at their limits, and I don't know what that is. Will a phenom 940 or a Q8400 yorkfield do just as well with this card? If yes, then I'll get that because they are cheaper.

Also, I know I can get an i7 for 280 bucks which is a beast CPU, but I dont know if it will be that much better in games because of the 4870 card. See the point?

So I want some of you up-to-date gurus to fill me in. I haven't been following this stuff closely since the P4/AMD 64 3400+ "era"

thx

A 4870 will not bottleneck/be bottlenecked by an i7/Q9550/PII 955.

Any of those CPUs would be good; i7 is currently the best but requires expensive mobos and DDR3 RAM (which is coming down in price but it's still about 1.5-2 times the price of DDR2).

ye, the cheapest mobo for the i7 is around 170, and I can get a really good AM3 mobo for 110.

Also, how's the heat on the phenom 955?

And how is the heat on the 4870?

I've got the 940, which is the DDR2 version of the 955 I'm pretty sure. With a core contact I usually idle around 28-30c, with a horrible airflow case. Right now I'm at idle 39-40c but its 32c ambient soo.

I've read that the 4870 can get a little hot, but every card does, although I've never seen my 4850 above 67, don't even wanna bother testing that today though :p. Weirdest weather lately, cool all summer and all morning today, but now its ridiculously hot for where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom